Christy B's Reviews > The Bell Jar

1204629
Aug 08, 10

bookshelves: fiction, classics, feminist-fiction
Read from July 30 to August 01, 2010

A semi-autobiographical tale about a young woman's slow decent into a mental breakdown.

This was a heartbreaking, and at times, disturbing book. We traveled inside the head of a young woman from the start of her mental breakdown while at a magazine internship in New York to the final plunge of her insanity while home in Boston and through the several institutions she finds herself in.

I'm not going to get too personal here, but there were some things in this book I could identify with. And when you read a book of this kind of magnitude and find yourself thinking, "Wow, I've been there," it's not a happy thing to realize. Thankfully, I am well past all this stuff, but it brought a lot back.

The Bell Jar is probably one of the most real books I've ever read. It was painstakingly honest. There was no holding back for Plath.

I'm still digesting it. It will be awhile before I read this again, if I decide to.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bell Jar.

08/01/2010 page 244

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Caitlin I'll be interested to know what you think about it. It's one of my favorite books and I am a major Plath admirer. If you do like the book, you should definitely read her poetry, if you haven't already.

Christy B I'm still digesting it, but I did like it. I've read some of Plath's poetry and plan on reading more. I have a book of her poetry that I'll get to eventually.

Kareby I think I read The Bell Jar about 7-10 years ago. I was wandering around the book section of Target and felt like I needed to start reading established/classic books. I picked up The Bell Jar on a whim and was thoroughly fascinated.
I have never been a reader of poetry but this was the start of my love for classic literature.

Kareby I'm using the term classic pretty loosely..... ;)

Christy B Kareby wrote: "I'm using the term classic pretty loosely..... ;)"

I do the same.