Jennifer Slattery's Reviews > Indivisible

Indivisible by Kristen Heitzmann

Jul 30, 10

Read in July, 2010

Kristen Heitzman is an excellent author and did a wonderful job of weaving multiple subplots into one cohesive story. Most of us have been warned extensively not to have too many characters in our novels, but Kristen is able to dive into the lives of four very different characters, invoking empathy in the reader for each one, although one point of view used was not as strong as the others. Piper seemed to mirror Tia in many ways and didn't come across as dynamic as I would have hoped.

For the most part, Kristen did a wonderful job of revealing the emotional baggage lugged around by each character. My only concern, or pause, was in how she dealt with Miles, a character with obsessive compulsive disorder. I don't want to give away any portion of the story, but I feel the Miles outcome could have been more authentic if the author had spent more time researching this disorder and its most commonly agreed upon treatment. As a Christian author, I would also liked to have seen the characters experiencing God more frequently.

As for the overall writing style, Kristen definitely has a gift with words. However, there were times when her analogies felt forced and overdone, more so in the beginning of the book than later on. As the story progressed, her writing became more fluent and natural.

And yet, despite my minor concerns, the story was engaging and kept me turning page after page late into the night.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indivisible.