Godzilla's Reviews > The Hell of It All

The Hell of It All by Charlie Brooker

Aug 11, 10

bookshelves: 2010, everyone-s-a-critic, humour
Read from August 09 to 11, 2010

Charlie brooker's books can be a difficult read, as it a relentless stream of invective and brutal summarising of how crap the world we live in is.

However the writing is superb and his dark humour has some genuine laugh out loud moments.

It's one of those books that will infuriate anyone else in the room with you whilst you read it. I found myself making involuntary remarks, sniggers and guffaws. This is irritating for anyone around you, and you certainly can't explain to your kids why you're laughing!

The book also serves as a short term memory jogger for recent events, as Charlie hangs a lot of stuff around topical news events (the book is a compliation of his weekly newspaper columns)and I found myself marvelling at how these things always feel like they happened last week, but in fact it's been a couple of years since the event.

The points about the vacuity of Big Brother and other reality shows are made crystal clear when you realise that you have no clue who he is going on about.

Charlie's world may be bleak and hate filled, but frankly it seems to reflect the current world we live in pretty well....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hell of It All.