Melindeeloo's Reviews > Death's Excellent Vacation

Death's Excellent Vacation by Charlaine Harris

Aug 07, 10

Read in July, 2010

Most Excellent" mix of vacation themed shorts

Death's Excellent offers a variety of vacation themed shorts. I enjoyed the mix of stories - a few with a touch of romance and some with a touch of horror - and even found a couple of new authors on the way, but I have to say that some of these vacations make finding a new travel agent, or safer still, taking a 'staycation' at home seem like a really good idea.

1. Two Blondes - Charlaine Harris - A Sookie short - Sookie and Pam head off to the riverboat casinos to mix business with some fun - For fans of the books this is something completely different for Sookie (for fans of the show probably not so much) - when the business part of the vacation goes bad while Sookie and Pam are in a strip club, the pair hide in plain sight as 'Sugar & Butterscotch'.

2. The Boys Go Fishing - Sarah Smith - A crotchety old superhero's lonely exile is invaded - he longs for death, but may yet discover how to truly live - I really really liked this story, it had some powerful and poignant moments and a hopeful ending. I'll be keeping out an eye for more by this author.

3. One for the Money - Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress short - Cat and Bones pull guard duty for a human heiress targeted by supernatural hit men - This is a nice little Night Huntress fix for fans (there's even a few steamy bits)

4. Meanwhile, Far Across the Caspian Sea... - Daniel Stashower - An author takes his job as researcher to a new level.

5. The Innsmouth Nook - A. Lee Martinez - Owners of a bed and breakfast rewrite their business plan when the inn is invaded by legendary guests.

6. Safe and Sound - Jeff Abbott - An ambitious and less than scrupulous TV reporter milks the investigation into a young man's disappearance for ratings - I figured the twist to this one early on, but the reporter is so unlikable that no tears are shed when she gets what she deserves.

7. Seeing is Believing - L A Banks - After 'seeing' that the cause of several local deaths is a supernatural predator, a young woman heads off to New Orleans to gather what she needs to fight the beasts. There she gains an ally in an unusual young man and discovers that both of their pasts are linked to what she hunts - a nice little story with appealing leads and a promise of romance.

8. The Perils of Eferjim - Katie MacAlister - A short starring Aisling Grey's demon newfie sidekick Jim - With Aisling on vacation, Jim's off to grab some R&R as well when he gets forced into human form and banished to Abaddon - If you love Jim there's lots of him here and some funny moments, I particularly like how he escapes from the hellish demon dimension.

9. Thin Walls - Christopher Golden - A man is on a memorial tour honoring his dead wife, but a brush with the supernatural is what it takes to help him move on - This one was creepy, but since it was horrorish I guess that was the intent.

10. The Heart is Always Right - Lilith Saintcrow - A gargoyle's vacation in the sun is preempted when he discovers that the young woman he's been drawn to is the key to gaining his ultimate dreams if he's willing to pay the price - There is just something about gargoyles which appeals to me.

11. The Demon in the Dunes - Chris Grabenstein - A man remembers a long ago summer vacation from his youth and a ghostly encounter - The ending to this one surprised me.

12. Home from America - Sharan Newman - A man of Irish descent, has a chance to visit the old country when his family gets invited to a family reunion - I didn't particularly like the ending of this one.

13. Pirate Dave's Haunted Amusement Park - Toni L P Kelner - A recently turned werewolf returns to a childhood vacation spot to ponder her future. A visit to a favorite amusement park offers her the chance to pursue the pirate of her teenage fantasies and to use her new abilities to save the park from a vandal trying to shut it down - Sexy pirates and supernatural creatures? What's not to like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's Excellent Vacation.