Joyce's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Apr 07, 2014

it was ok
Read from March 11 to April 06, 2014

It has to be hard to write a novel about a school shooting, but Jodi Picoult has made a career out of writing about topical issues. In the three books of hers that I have read she always has a twist at the end. So, while I found the writing somewhat formulaic, I still found myself yelling at the characters while I was driving and listening to the unabridged version which indicates that I found the characters real enough to provoke a response. The parents in her books are often well meaning but completely clueless. What I did find very interesting is the plausible psychological argument she constructs for the shooter's defense. She builds a valid case throughout the novel for the conclusion she draws and then blows it with her twist at the end. But hey, it's my own fault for wading through this book. Should anyone else want to read about a school shooting, I would recommend the excellent Columbine - a nonfiction account of what happened in Colorado that also constructs a realistic psychological profile of the killers that is far less sympathetic than the one created by Picoult.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.

03/11/2014 marked as: currently-reading