Amber's Reviews > The Forbidden Game

The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith

Oct 15, 10

bookshelves: horror, i-read-in-2010, books-i-own, fiction, romance, sci-fi, teenage, young-adult, fantasy, 5-stars
Recommended for: ANYONE
Read from July 29 to 31, 2010, read count: 1(More than likely this number will grow)

** spoiler alert ** Ack!
This book was SO FREAKING GOOD! I couldn't put it down without whining about putting it down! L.J. Smith, not only did you send me off into another world with the NIGHT WORLD books, but you also put me in the middle of a horrifing adventure in this book, too.

This book is about a group of kids. Jenny(the main character), her boyfriend Tom, Audrey and her boyfriend Michael, Dee, Summer, and Zach. Jenny buys this game from a mysterious guy at a game store, with indescribably blue eyes and snow-white hair.
And the box draws you in. Before they knew it they were playing the game, sucked into the shadow world where they actually had to play the game out against the guy from the games store, Julian, who actually ended up being a prince of the shaddow land. A Shaddow Man.
Yes, he was the evil character, but I absolutely loved him! He was merciless at times, yes, and he did torture them all, but that's not the point.
The point is, he admitted his love to Jenny. OUT LOUD. Unlike Tom, he was not ashamed by the words, "I love you."
I loved that! And he faught for what he wanted. In this case, Jenny.

Yes. The winner of the game got Jenny.
The point of the game:
Every player must face their deepest nightmare.
Jenny-the horror of that night she could never remember when she was 5.
Dee-Being abducted by aliens.
Audrey-A gruesome German fairtale she was told when she was young
Michael-A plant growning over every inch of his skin, latching on.
Summer-A Seriously messy room-football sized bugs and all.
Zach-being chased in infinant space by a creeper.
Tom-surprizingly!?!!? Loosing Jenny. Huh.
As Jenny(as Julian put it, "The Main Player") traveled through the game, Tom was stuck at the end, tied up, and forced to watch.
Jenny, Dee, Audrey, Michael, and Zach scarred for life.
Summer was believed to be dead.
And Tom was freaking.

Then, in the other two books, Julian messes with Jenny's life even MORE, scarred emotionally and physically.
In the second book, Tom gets unbarringly annoying.
I couldn't take it. Gah. He annoyed the crap out of me.

ANYWAY.
Moving on.
My favorite part of the book, when Julian confesses and is all vulnerable when Jenny almost dies, or when Julian takes them into the tunnel of love and despare.
I thought Michael and Audrey were so sweet. (: I loved Michael. He was so awesome. Everything you could ever want in a boyfriend. :P

And I ALMOST cried when Julian died. I was like, WHAT THE HECK?!?!? Noooooooo!
*sigh* Now I'm sad and want another book. Maybe Julian reincarinated?

Anyway. All in all, breathtaking book. Mystery, seduction, romance, secrets revealed, a scare that will leave you wondering.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden Game.

07/29/2010 page 67
9.0% "OHMUHGUD This book is SOOOOO good! I can't put it down! Literally! I'm reading it as I'm playing around on the computer."
08/01/2010 page 538
72.0% "Gah! Why does good always have to win!?!!? Why can't Jenny just be with Julian? I know that sounds bad, but I really really like him for some reason! He's not freaking afraid to show JEnny he loves her!
Woot to Julian!"
08/02/2010 page 750
100.0% "AW!!!! Why did Julian have to DIE?!!??! Not fair, I tell you. Not fair. I think it was like.....page 606, I totally felt for him! I got teary-eyed when he died. He's probably one of my all-time favorite book characters.(:
I ♥ Julian. Why? Because he isn't annoying like Tom. (:" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer but will there be another book?

message 2: by hottskull (new) - added it

hottskull Wow! Great review. >.< Now I REALLY wanna read them... the way everyone I know wants the fourth book to come out; if there's one???- then I might just wait until it comes out. I hate waiting on books that are from a grate series and they leave you hanging on what was last said in the story. Sigh. Either way <3 the review, and I am most defiantly gonna read the series. :D

Amber I don't believe there will be another book. And you know L.J. Smith....look at the Night World #10 publishing date....O.o