Ed's Reviews > Poseidon's Gold

Poseidon's Gold by Lindsey Davis

Jan 20, 2011

bookshelves: crime-fiction-mystery-thriller, historical-fiction, reviewed
Recommended for: Crime anf Historical fiction fans.
Read in December, 2010

Sometimes I wish I liked Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco's series more than I do. I am put off by Falco's contemporary attitude on the one hand but entranced with the stories, the characters and the plots on the other hand.

This was a good one with lots of twists and in addition to the usual characters some interesting new ones. We get to know Falco's father a lot better and also learn more about his older brother, Festus, a charming soldier and con man. His lover, the aristocratic Helena, is her usual incredible self. One can't help but wonder why she sticks with Falco. Falco gets himself in all kinds of trouble trying to clear Festus' name at the behest of his mother who, while not Jewish, certainly fits the stereotype of the "Jewish Mother".

All through the story, Falco tries to accumulate enough assets so he can move up the social ladder and marry Helena, whose father, though impecunious is a Senator. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so I'll just say what fun it was to follow Falco as he tried to figure out just what his brother had gotten himself into.

In spite of my intermittent distaste for Davis' attempt to make a Roman Informer sound like a present day Private Eye, i must admit each volume in the series gets and holds my interest. This one is no exception.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poseidon's Gold.