Teresa's Reviews > Anthropology of an American Girl

Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann

Aug 08, 10

Recommended to Teresa by: Cynthia
Read in August, 2010

I suppose this book isn't for everyone (I can see some getting impatient with it, though I never did) and it might not be perfect (though I think it comes close), but I loved it. The author has such beautiful and unique and insightful ways of describing emotions and feelings; I don't think I've ever marked so many passages in a book before. It's one of those books I never wanted to put down; I felt addicted to the characters and the world they were in while I was reading. It took me longer to read than it should've as I neared the end, and I think it was because I wasn't ready for the book to end.

It certainly added to my reading pleasure that Eveline, the main character, went through high school and college only one year behind when I did. But much, much more than that pleasure was the pleasure of basking in the voice the author created for this young woman. As she struggles through her metamorphosis from girl to woman, Eveline is brave and unflinching as she looks at herself -- something that is hard to do in real life and something that fiction like this can help us do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthropology of an American Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Nice insightful review, Teresa. I also like those books that offer solutions to problems by having characters who I can identify with.

Teresa K.D. wrote: "Nice insightful review, Teresa. I also like those books that offer solutions to problems by having characters who I can identify with."

Thanks, K.D. My good friend Cynthia recommended this book to me and she never steers me wrong! She said in her review that it gave her the feeling she had when she first read "Jane Eyre." For me, it was like reading another Charlotte Bronte novel -- "Villette" -- in the emotions it evoked. I've read a lot of 19th-century British novels in my lifetime! :)

Cynthia Great review Teresa. I'm 3 years older than Eveline and that helped to pull me into her story but, like you, I just loved the emotional honesty of it. I'm glad you corroborate the 19th centuryness of how it read. Maybe I'm not losing it. lol

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice review, Teresa! You and Cynthia have kept me busy with an endless supply of wonderful books. I am encouraged by the fact that you both enjoyed this so much.

message 5: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely I should try one of those Bronte novels soon. Thanks again!

Teresa Thanks, y'all!

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Evidently this is the kind of writing we so so need in fiction today, and while I'm a bit older (ahem ahem) than Evaline I believe I'll feel that Bronte touch. The kind of timeless quality you and Cynthia describe is what discerning (or even not such discerning) readers yearn for. Powerful review; thanks thanks!

Teresa Maria wrote: "The kind of timeless quality you and Cynthia describe is what discerning (or even not such discerning) readers yearn for. Powerful review; thanks thanks! "

'Yearning' is a great word, Maria, and one that also fits this novel so well.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann I will read this..

Teresa Ann wrote: "I will read this.."

I hope you like it too, Ann!

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I have reseved it from my library!

Cynthia Ann and Barbara please let us know what you think of it.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara But of course!!

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann will be quite a long time before I can comment..

Teresa Ann wrote: "will be quite a long time before I can comment.."

We'll be here. ;)