Shayne's Reviews > An Enemy at Green Knowe

An Enemy at Green Knowe by L.M. Boston

Jul 29, 10

Read in August, 2006

“Enemy at Green Knowe” is the penultimate book in the Green Knowe series. I’m very impressed by the writing in this series. Lucy Boston felt that children shouldn’t be talked down to in books written for them. She said :

“I believe children, even the youngest, love good language, and that they see, feel, understand and communicate more, not less, than grownups. Therefore, I never write down to them, but try to evoke that new, brilliant awareness that is their world.”

To me this helps her books age well, in all senses of the word.

Here’s a passage from “Enemy at Green Knowe” that’s stayed with me since I read it:

“But the old-fashioned roses have always been a symbol for love, and like all ecstatic things they die and come again. And the flower is simply a cup for the scent, and the scent is an offering. But these thoughts she kept to herself.”

I could write a paper on the allusions, influences and layers of meaning in that short passage. Or I could just say it is a glimpse of beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Enemy at Green Knowe.