Kay's Reviews > Transit Maps of the World

Transit Maps of the World by Mark Ovenden

Jul 29, 10

bookshelves: travel-guides, illustration, nonfiction
Read in September, 2009

I adore maps, the stuff that travelers' dreams are made of. This book is a delight both as eye candy (what, pray tell, is more satisfying than the London Tube map?) and as food for thought. Consider, dear reader, the humble subway map. So many forms, so much history in a simple line drawing.

The material on the history of various transit systems is a real treat for those whose journeys are, not infrequently, subterranean. This is a geography lesson as well as a transit lesson. I pull this book from the shelf now and again to look up the map for a place I've recently been (Rome, most recently, "one of the world's most complex places archeologically to build a subway"), or to research a place I'm planning to go (Bangalore, whose urban rail is still in the "planning stage," it seems).

Anyone who sometimes finds themselves during a long flight contemplating the back section of the in-flight magazine with the terminal layouts -- yes, you know who you are -- needs this lovely book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transit Maps of the World.