SilverRaindrops's Reviews > Trespassing

Trespassing by Uzma Aslam Khan

Aug 16, 14

bookshelves: region-middle-east, read-and-gave-away
Read in June, 2013 — I own a copy

This review is going to be really short. Mostly because I have absolutely no idea what to write.

Uzma Aslam Khan gives us an impression of life in Pakistan today, with all the social, political and economical problems that come with it. And she is quite good at doing that.
The problem is the fact that she really only leaves the reader with impressions; to me at least, nothing felt real. Sometimes peculiar storytelling choices also left me wondering what was really going on, and the look at the political situation in the Middle East was sometimes the only thing that helped my find my way through the story.

The characters stay rather two-dimensional, considering how much time we spend listening to their over-thinking tailspins. There are chapters from the viewpoints of three main characters, and sometimes they more or less detail the same things from different perspectives. Unfortunately this means that it feels like there's nothing happening, since most of the possibilities only unfold in a character's head.
The writing of the dialogue is also rather odd, sometimes drifting into near play-writing, and this put me out of scenes when there was finally something happening.

Like I've said before, this is a short review. I couldn't get into the book, I wasn't all that interested in the story, I didn't care for the characters. I'm just happy that I've got other books by Pakistani authors, so that I can avoid Uzma Aslam Khan in the future because we're clearly not a good author-reader fit.

(Review crossposted to 238 books in 238 days)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trespassing.

05/31/2013 marked as: 238-next-up