Jess's Reviews > The Secret

The Secret by Julie Garwood

Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: 2010, historical-romance
Read in August, 2010

This is the first book in the Medieval series, and it takes place in the 1200's in Scotland. Ever since reading one of Garwood's HR series books, I've had a little bit of an obsession with Scottish lairds. This book definitely fulfilled my current need to read more.

In this book Judith is waiting for someone to get her so she can go visit her friend in Scotland. Judith knows her friend is pregnant and wants to be there for her to help her through the birth. Iain is laird of his clan and wants nothing to do with the English woman, but as it's his brother Patrick's wife who is pregnant he has no choice in the matter. He sets out with a few of his warriors to go to Judith, they all fully expect to hear her say that she has no intention of going with them. But Judith surprises them all by insisting they either take her or she will walk there. Once Judith gets to her friends side, she needs to win over the warriors, the clan and the elders before she will truly be accepted.

I found Judith to be a funny character. She stood up to her husband and the clan whenever she felt it was necessary. Iain's reaction to her was really sweet as he tried to stay away to protect himself from becoming a "weakling in love". Iain was the definition of an alpha male, so it was funny to watch him fall for Judith. I also like that the book was written from both of their perspectives, I felt this really rounded out the storyline and helped me connect with the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret.