Emma's Reviews > DoOon Mode

DoOon Mode by Piers Anthony

Jan 01, 08

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Recommended for: someone who wants a silly no brainer kind of book
Read in January, 2008

Piers Anthony seems to be on a personal mission to help us all be more open and comfortable with casual sex through making all his characters oddly frank about their sexual needs. So I wasn't too surprised that on page 2 of this book his android feline character complains "I haven't been humped in a month!" But I did feel a little violated. I just wanted some good clean fun!

I have liked many Piers Anthony books (excluding the horrifically inane Xanth books), but his characters seem flat in this book. Or perhaps they are flat in all his books and I just now noticed, having not read any for quite some time.

The other problem is that it is the 4th in a series, the other 3 came out a long time ago and I barely remember them, and he can't seem to be bothered with getting the reader up to speed. I would appreciate it if he spent as much time writing a preface as telling us the details of his personal life in his author's note (he discusses his dog, kids, and root canals, among other things). Yeah, he always writes those notes. I used to find them charming, now I find them kind of weird. Am I getting old and crochety or should he just get a blog and a twitter account like the rest of us?

But, all in all I wanted something that required zero brain usage to consume and this book fits that bill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read DoOon Mode.