mlady_rebecca's Reviews > Incubus Dreams

Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton

First, the cast list:

Of the vamps, we saw plenty of Jean-Claude and Damian, plus Buzz (who hasn't been around much lately) and Malcolm, plus we were introduced to Requiem, Byron, Wicked, and Truth. With the wolves, we saw plenty of Richard and Jason, and we were introduced to Clay and Graham. With the leopards we saw plenty of Nathaniel, Gregory, and Micah. With the wererats, we saw Dr. Lillian, Claudia, and Louie. We saw Ronnie. With RPIT we got Tammy, Jessica Arnet, Zerbrowski, and Dolph. And with Animators' Inc, we got Larry, Bert, and Mary (daytime secretary). Oh, and several phone calls with Marianne.

Not as full of a reoccurring cast as the last two books, but all the principals were onstage except for Asher, who we saw dead to the world in Jean-Claude's bed, but never awake and aware.

Spoilers beyond this point....

This was the third book in the triad where the ardeur first held sway. The ardeur was responsible for breaking down a lot of Anita's barriers, and, in some ways Richard's, as well. During the three books, Anita moved Jean-Claude's lover's lists of guys from her heart into her bed. She also called to herself a new Tri, bringing more power both to her and to Jean-Claude and Richard. A new power plateau, indeed. The ardeur eventually broke both Anita and Richard of their reluctance to be food for the vampires, both blood and the ardeur.

And I love that this book ended with Richard on the hopeful list. Poor Richard, will he never catch up to his life?

And a nice round out to the triad of books was Jean-Claude, Richard, and Anita full-filling the promise they felt after marrying the marks in "Narcissus in Chains". Sharing a bed (MFM) and power.

(Reviewed 04/06/2009)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incubus Dreams.

Quotes mlady_rebecca Liked

Laurell K. Hamilton
“Zebrowski says that if you killed someone else just hide the body, he's not starting over on the paperwork.”
Laurell K. Hamilton, Incubus Dreams