Mary Ann's Reviews > Tea with Hezbollah: Sitting at the Enemies Table Our Journey Through the Middle East

Tea with Hezbollah by Ted Dekker

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: non-ficiton
Read from July 29 to 30, 2010

I enjoyed this book. Dekker and Medearis travel through the Middle East and interview leaders of Hezbollah, Hamas, a Bedouin Prince and others. A contemporary Samaritan parable is woven throughout the book that brings heart to the facts of the interviews. The authors ask unusual questions such as, "What makes you laugh?" and "What kind of car do you drive?" and then get to their point; what do they think of Jesus' teaching to love your neighbor and even your enemies? I appreciate that the interviews are for the most part, transcripts and not an interpretation. The words of the leaders show that they are human, love their children and laugh but also that they either do not want to acknowledge Jesus' teaching or do not think it applies to their unique situation. In all accounts they are similar to most everyone I know. None of us truly loves our neighbor or our enemies as Jesus would and we all have excuses for it.
This book doesn't "take sides" in Middle East politics or on religions although both men profess Christ. They are hesitant to call themselves christians b/c of the history of violence in the name of Christ. Not sure that I would abandon my family name b/c of an errant relative but that is their feeling about it. I was fascinated b/c I love learning about people who are different than me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tea with Hezbollah.