Daisy's Reviews > The True Memoirs of Little K

liked it
bookshelves: russia, eastern-european-challenge-2011, dance
Recommended to Daisy by: from Janet Fitch's shelf
Read from February 15 to 21, 2011 , read count: 1

Nauseating excess and greed. A ballerina who only knows one way to take care of herself and that is to be kept by royalty. Well, and lying.
You don't have to like her to like the book. An entertaining, engrossing read.
3+ stars

I have always admired an opportunist, being one myself.--that pretty much sums up Little K.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Memoirs of Little K.

02/16/2011 page 25
show 6 hidden updates…

Rebecca Huston I see you had pretty much the same reactions as I did to this one. So -- what did you think of the big plot twist? (I'm being vague because I don't want to create a spoiler here)

message 2: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Thank you for not spoiling the plot. I'd like to know how good the writing is.
As far as admiring opportunists, I think this is a matter of how you use the word. An opportunist to me has always been someone who will take an chance to better his or her position at all cost, stepping on people to get ahead and generally immoral. The dictionary says "without regard for basic principles or consequences." Are you REALLY like that, Daisy?!

Daisy Oh no Lissa--god I hope I'm not like that. The quote captures the main character perfectly so that's why I added it.

message 4: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Oh! I couldn't tell it was a quote! Sorry! But I really didn't think you were like that, dear Daisy! Is it worth reading?
On another note, have you read any of Lisa See's books?

Daisy It is worth reading if you're at all interested in Russian monarchy, ballet, or the revolution. And if you're not, it's still an easy, entertaining read, but not the best book ever.

Lisa See: yes, I've read her and her mother Carolyn See and even this wonderful book I lent to Tad once called "Lotusland" about the founding of LA by three different characters. It was written by Lisa See, Carolyn See, and her partner John ? (I've forgotten his last name right now)--under the pseudonym of Monica Highland. Since I get all my facts from fiction, I am certain it is pertinent to LA history. I have a copy if you want to borrow it.