Natasha Borton's Reviews > The Silver Linings Playbook

Aug 04, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone interested in modern American literature
Read from July 29 to August 03, 2010

I found the book very easy to read, the format worked really well, and it was written in a brilliant style that enveloped the reader within the pages. I especially loved the unique voices that were developed for the different characters, to the point where you could immediately identiy the character which made the book fun alot smoother than some of the other modern American novels floating around at the moment.
I had a couple of points that would have really made the book for me. Although I said that the writting flowed easily, it also didn't really go anywhere. The nature of the story lends itself to extreame variants in emotional writting yet I felt the author didn't live up to the context. For instance as our main character's thoughts develop so should his narrative voice and the pace of the writting, but nothing changed. I felt myself willing the book to speed up and engage my interest when really I was left with exactly what I had just read for the last 100 pages. I also thought scenes were unnecessarily extended and eventually bored me, luckily I still kept up hope so my interest wasn't completely lost. I would have liiked much more of a comparison to be drawn metaphorically between Tiffany and Pat rather than it just being said, so bluntly, to the reader.
Saying all this I am very glad I've read this book as I now have a faint grasp on American football, and I did enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Linings Playbook.