Laura Jean's Reviews > Man and Superman

Man and Superman by George Bernard Shaw

Aug 24, 10

Read from July 29 to August 24, 2010

While Shaw has moments of brilliance—almost always when he is skewering class distinctions and political affiliations—he also seems utterly incapable of creating interesting female characters or saying anything that isn't a cad's standard, whiny, freedom-from-marriage talk when it comes to the relations between the sexes.

I wish he had turned his acerbic wit towards a more interesting examination of the cultural expectations of women and men rather than relying on the very tired, very expected lamentations of a philandering man and the women constantly entrapping him.

Repeatedly I wanted to throw this play across the room, not because it was terrible, but because it was so well-written, and so utterly doltish regarding its purported main subject: a re-examination of the Don Juan figure.

Maybe I missed the point. Maybe we're supposed to think that this Don Juan is a figure for ridicule and his complaints about being tied down or about the utter disappointment behind women's veils are supposed to be the words of a fool.

I hope that is so. Otherwise, color me disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man and Superman.