Kate Pierson's Reviews > Foreign Affairs

Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie

203364
Aug 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010, best-read-2010, england, laugh-out-loud, love-the-setting, zany
Read from July 29 to August 03, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book is really funny! I laughed out loud several times. The story is told in an interesting way, too. Henry James is referenced throughout the book, but I, naturally, haven't read enough Henry James to comment on that (I need to read more classics, I know, I know!). The story-telling reminds me a little bit of A.A. Milne, which is definitely a good thing.

I love the character Vinnie. She is a huge reading snob like I am. I am sad about how it ended with Chuck. I love Chuck and think they are a great couple. I wish that the author would have kept him alive and explored their relationship a little more. But what can you do?

All in all, a great read. I don't read much that was published in the 1980s. I should probably read more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foreign Affairs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eliana (new)

Eliana Henry James is great, you would like.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara The only James I've read is Washington Square. Which I liked. I saw some of the movies in the '90s, Portrait of A Lady, and Wings of the Dove. They never end well and heaps on repression. Think Wharton, though maybe not as sad.