SJH (A Dream of Books)'s Reviews > Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Aug 29, 12

bookshelves: for-review, own, young-adult, romance, mythology
Read from April 07 to 13, 2011

Want a book which combines elements of mythology with a sizzling hot romance? Want a book with a stunning plot and fabulous characters? If the answer to both is yes, then look no further than 'Starcrossed' by Josephine Angelini.

The story centres on Helen Hamilton who lives on the small island of Nantucket. She's painfully shy and doesn't have many friends except for her loyal sidekick Claire. For as long as she can remember it's just been her and her father ans she's happy with things that way. Everything changes when the Delos family arrive on the island and Helen finds herself experiencing overwhelming feelings of hatred towards Lucas Delos; feelings that she can't explain and can't resist. As the two are drawn towards each other Helen eventually discovers the secret surrounding the Delos family and as everyone knows, there's a fine love between love and hate.

I really loved the whole concept of 'Starcrossed'. Angelini has interwoven elements of Greek tragedy into the story which is a spin on the classic tale of Helen (the face that launched a thousand ships) and Paris of Troy. I'm a big fan of the classics and Greek and Roman tragedies so this really appealed to me. There are further similarities with the famous starcrossed lovers of Romeo and Juliet, with Helen and Lucas desperate to be together but afraid of starting a war if they give into their feelings for each other. However, although the book reminded me of elements of other stories, it's also totally unique and unlike anything else I've read in the YA paranormal romance genre. It's incredibly intelligent and clever which means that you do have to follow the plot carefully as there are quite a lot of different plot threads combined and a hefty back story to understand.

Although I found that the story started off a little slow in the first few chapters, it soon picked up the pace, so it's worth persevering if you find it difficult to get into at the start. The ending blew me away and concluded with such a big cliffhanger. Josephine Angelini certainly knows how to leave you in suspense!

This is the first book in a trilogy and I can't wait for more! I have a feeling that I'm going to get absolutely addicted to this series. 'Starcrossed' is going to appeal to a wide-audience of readers as the book contains something for everyone. Action, mystery, romance and an intriguing and gripping plot are all combined to make this one of the hits of the year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.

04/08/2011 page 106