Joel's Reviews > Gift from the Sea

Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Feb 28, 08

Recommended to Joel by: Eugene Peterson
Read in January, 2008

I love walking around a bookstore and picking up five or six books of varying genres that catch my eye, sitting down and skimming. If I'm interested I may read a chapter or two, a dozen poems, maybe even ponder buying it before I put them all back on the shelf. This was number four in a stack of nine that I picked up today at Borders. After skimming the introduction, I flipped to the first chapter... forty-five minutes later I had left the store to get a pen from my car and had picked up three napkins at the adjoining coffee shop to scribble down quotes. I didn't even touch the other five in my stack once I had opened this. It was wonderful to start the year with a book that contemplates life in a lyrical fashion, using metaphor to reach truth.

Lindberg writes of simplicity to the end of clearing out the distractions and leading to focus on what is most important. She writes of the importance of making time to be alone to reflect on who we are - "When one is stranger to oneself then one is estranged from others too." My campus minster says something very similar - 'When you don't feed yourself, how can you feed others?' She writes of relationships throughout their changing spans, from the "one-and-only moments", being with just the person sitting across from you, whether your spouse, child, or friend, so they feel cared for individually. She writes to help herself deal with the movements of life as they come to her, and in doing so, has captured something to for others mull over.

What a restful day I've had.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gift from the Sea.