Annette's Reviews > Darkling

Darkling by Yasmine Galenorn

Sep 05, 2010

did not like it
Read from August 15 to 16, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This series has the potential to be mind-blowing. It's okay, but it just leaves me wanting more. There are rich characters, sub-plots, sex, fantasy and politics all over. Yet I find myself still needing to understand more. It's like it was written as an outline, with just enough filler to pass it as a fast-paced story. It almost reads like a TV series script.

What lacks for me is you just don't know enough about the characters to form any empathy for them. It starts to build and then you're thrown into the next situation before you can really learn anything. When Menolly has to re-live her memories of her torture and convert to a vampire - you learn very little and sort of get frustrated with the whole scene. Her sister watches her re-live the her past and all she does is fall on her knees and cries. If I had to watch my sister re-live torture, rape and turn to vampire I would be out of my mind with rage. Then after this she's freed from the bond to her sire and she goes out in the world to kick ass. It's very shallow and doesn't evoke enough emotion from me. It could really be powerful, exploring how Menolly struggles to keep her human values and how her bond with her 2 sisters has changed since she was abducted. But it's just back to fighting and very little character exploration.

But that's just me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkling.