Ruth's Reviews > The Admiral's Penniless Bride

The Admiral's Penniless Bride by Carla Kelly

It's hard to write a review and do justice to this lovely, sweet story.

The hero and heroine are both wonderful people. They both deserve happiness and contentment. Neither of them is young, which i particularly appreciate, and they are both adrift, more-or-less outcasts, granted that the hero is a relatively wealthy outcast.

It would have been so easy to write a sickly sweet story, but it's so beautifully and simply written, that it just flows. Parts of it made me chuckle, parts of it made me sigh, parts of it even nearly made me cry a bit (that NEVER happens when I'm reading), but mainly it just made me read on The story unfolds at a measured, but not slow, pace, and, well, it's just a great book.

I love Carla Kelly's books. I like the way she writes about people who have had to work for a living, and do more than sipping tea and going for dress fittings in a historical setting. I particularly like her simple writing style.

5 stars, all-time-favorites list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Admiral's Penniless Bride.

Rane I hope you enjoy this very sweet book Ruth!

Ruth I am. I love Carla Kelly's books. I couldn't wait for this one to be published.

SheLove2Read I also found this to be beyond my ability to write a review worthy of the story. I simply loved it!

Ruth I love Carla Kelly's books. They aren't fancy, complicated stories with ridiculously evil villains (although I do like reading those too..). They just leave me feeling satisfied and happy.

I've also only read a small number of her total output, but I can remember every one clearly. I read maybe 3-4 books per week, so that's a pretty incredible feat.

Rane Wonderful Review Ruth, CK's works are always like a breathe of fresh air..and those front lawn statues! LOL, Another great part is CK's humor!

Ruth Thanks Rane. The statues were pretty funny, plus the references to the "naughty cherubs" plastered all over the ceilings

Rane Ruth wrote: "Thanks Rane. The statues were pretty funny, plus the references to the "naughty cherubs" plastered all over the ceilings"

*LOL!* or the old 80 yr old whom tries to get into bed with Sally! (I laughed at the thoughts of Charlie hoping he be that ahem active at 80!)

message 8: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Ruth, I saw this yesterday on Smart Bitches and thought of you:

It's about the cover for this book -- and his hook (and lack thereof). Hook???? Now I am seriously intrigued.

Ruth The complete disconnect between books and their covers just amazes me. I mean, can it be so difficult? And if the publishing house can't get it right, shouldn't they get a smaller cut?

Another reason I prefer reading on my kindle...

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Ruth wrote: "The complete disconnect between books and their covers just amazes me. I mean, can it be so difficult? And if the publishing house can't get it right, shouldn't they get a smaller cut?

Another rea..."

I think it pretty much a given that sadly many covers don't match up to the story, but very sad they're not willing to show a disability like a hook for hand- without making it comical like pirate adventure book

message 11: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth I totally agree.

It just shows how the publishers misjudge their audience, really. I love the variety in these books - I wouldn't be reading romance if they were all the same story, and it would just be nice to have the covers reflect that.

Having said that, some of the contemporaries have great covers, and there's something to be said for a nice bunch of flowers instead of a stock photo.

Rant over, and Nekkid Jed is still my fave.