Jess Michaelangelo's Reviews > Ten Great Mysteries

Ten Great Mysteries by Edgar Allan Poe

Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: classics, fiction, horror, mystery, own, re-read, short-stories
Read from July 28 to August 03, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I can be an atmospheric reader. Certain books should be read in a certain setting. Thoreau should be read on a stump in the middle of the woods. Jane Austen should be read curled up in bed with a cup of tea in the middle of winter. Twain should be read lazing under a tree in the grass in the middle of the summer. And Poe should be read in late fall, somewhere around Halloween.

Well, as I just found out, he makes for excellent campfire reading, as well.

For me, Poe is the ultimate of suspense. As a reader, it is evident just how haunted of a man Edgar Allan Poe really was. This makes his writing quite effective and allows the reader to become pleasantly creeped out. I love his writing and adore immersing myself in his words. An absolutely classic author, I dare say.

What's unique about this edition is that it goes to show that Poe writes more than just horror--namely suspense and science fiction (and don't forget poetry and romance, even though they don't appear here). I also enjoyed this little edition because even though it includes Poe classics like "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Pit and the Pendulum," it also includes less well-known stories.

Overall, not a must-have for Poe enthusiasts (as this is just a little snippet of his total works), but recommended for those who would like to become better read in Edgar Allan Poe or who would like to see what he is capable of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Great Mysteries.

07/28/2010 page 50
23.0% "Mmm, I do love me some Poe."