Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Old Man's War

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Jul 28, 2010

bookshelves: science-fiction, action

This was/is one of the better science fiction books I've read in a while. Another and different picture of a space faring future. It leads into a couple of other books which I again (sadly) don't find quite as good as the first here.

Anyway...humans have stepped out into the wider universe and found that we are not only not alone, but that "interplanetary real-estate" is very "expensive", in lives. Humanity it turns out isn't quite as physically imposing or resilient as many of our....competitors. So, to provide viable troops, to take and hold planets for "our people", "we" came up with an "option". Older humans, those with many years of life experience and nearing the end of life....well, if I tell you the details that would constitute a "spoiler" and since it's a pretty good book, I don't want to do that to you. Try it.

This is an enjoyable book, military science fiction that leads into what might be called a galactic geopolitical tale. Pretty good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Man's War.

05/24/2016 marked as: read

LeAnn The follow-up, The Ghost Brigades (I believe) was pretty good, though not as good. The third book, The Last Colony, I never finished. Or I should say we. My husband and I read the first two together, but the third one couldn't keep us awake (the time before sleep at night being the best time to enjoy a book together).

I loved the narrator, John. He made it more than the usual SF novel (or at least, the SF novels I remember reading years ago).

Mike (the Paladin) Same with me so far. I have the third on my shelves but haven't read it. Like you I thought the second started the slide. It just didn't hold together like the first.

Ryan Have you read Scalzi's "The Android's Dream?" I think it may be my favorite of Scalzi's so far.

Mike (the Paladin) No, I'll look into it, thanks.