Nic's Reviews > The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Nov 24, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, favourites, fae, young-adult, fantasy, swoon-worthy-read
Read from November 18 to 22, 2010

Favourite Quote: "His forehead bumped softly against mine, his brilliant silver gaze searing into me. “I plan to keep you, from everyone, for as long as I’m alive. That includes Puck, the false king, and anyone else who would take you away.” One corner of his mouth quirked, as I struggled to catch my breath under his powerful scrutiny. “I guess I should’ve warned you that I have a slight possessive streak.”

The Iron Fey series is one of my all time favourites. So I was extremely excited to get ARC but was also a little worried that it wouldn't live up to the previous books. But there was no need to worry as The Iron Queen was AWESOME. It had the same action packed and surprise filled plot but it was also was more emotional (tears were shed) and had more loads more delicious romance (yay!) than before.

My favourite element of this series is the magical world Julie Kagawa has created. I love all the different creatures. There are so many it hard to keep up. Here is just a few: gliders, spider hags, packrats, gremlins, iron beetles, clockwork golems, hacker elves, dragons, iron horses, gryphon, musket elves, wireman…. Kagawa makes you wish that you were character in this book exploring Nevernever. And if you asked me which character I would love to explore Nevernever with I couldn't pick. I am constantly changing my mind about who is my favourite. Ash, Razor, Meghan, Grim, Puck, they are all amazing.

Meghan in the beginning is a little insecure (not in a bad and whiny way) but as the story goes on she becomes strong, confident and courageous. Ash is still the same gorgeous dark faery but he seems a little more open and happier. Puck however is a little more brooding this time but still manages to bring a sense of mischief and fun when he is around. Grim, definitely hasn’t changed as Puck says ‘He’ll show up when we least expect him, being all cool and mysterious I wouldn‘t worry about that furball.”. We are also introduced to some new characters Glitch and Razor. I have especially taken a liking to Razor, a gremlin, he is both cute and crazy and I want one.

The romance is beautiful. Although sometimes I would have liked a little more details. Hint, hint for next time (I hope Julie Kagawa is reading this).

The ending, I can’t say much because I don’t want to spoil it but I am very happy that Julie Kagawa is writing The Iron Knight and lets leave it at that.

Overall, fans of this series won’t be disappointed. And if you love fey tales or fantasy and you haven’t read this series you really need to do so immediately.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for providing me with a copy.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.

Quotes Nic Liked

Julie Kagawa
“His forehead bumped softly against mine, his brilliant silver gaze searing into me. “I plan to keep you, from everyone, for as long as I’m alive. That includes Puck, the false king, and anyone else who would take you away.” One corner of his mouth quirked, as I struggled to catch my breath under his powerful scrutiny. “I guess I should’ve warned you that I have a slight possessive streak.”

Julie Kagawa
“Looks like nobody’s home,” Puck said, turning in a slow circle. “Hellooooooooo? Anybody here?”

“Be quiet, Goodfellow,” Ash growled, peering into the shadows with narrowed eyes. “We’re not alone.”

“Yeah? How do you figure that, prince? I don’t see anyone.”

“The cait sith has disappeared.”

“ … Crap.”

Julie Kagawa
“Good idea,” Puck echoed from the back of the cave. “Why don’t you take first watch, prince? You could actually be doing something that doesn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork.”
Ash’s lips curled in a smirk. “I would think you’re better suited to the task, Goodfellow,” he said without turning around. “After all, that’s what you’re best at isn’t it? Watching?”
“Oh, keep it up, ice-boy. You’re gonna have to sleep sometime.”

“Hey, princess.”

“Hey,” I whispered, as Ash slipped his arms around my waist from behind, drawing me close. I could feel his glare aimed at Puck over my head, a silent, protective gesture that spoke louder than any words. Mine. Back off.”
tags: ash

11/18/2010 page 97
25.0% "Ahhh Ash :)" 2 comments
11/19/2010 page 150
39.0% "Bye bye Ash. I will be back tomorrow night for you x"
11/21/2010 page 250
65.0% "Razor :)"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kim (last edited Nov 18, 2010 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Enjoy Nic!!! And thank you for your awesome idea, it's all thanks to you hon *mwah*

~Tina~ ~passes Nic a tissue~ Here, take the whole box:(

I wanna Razor too. I can tuck him in my little pocket he's so cute:)

Jessica I agree with everything you said. Great review :)

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim *dreamy sigh*

I feel like reading this book all over again.

~Tina~ What Kim said ^^ Great review Nic!

message 6: by Mayomi (last edited Feb 07, 2011 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayomi Awesome review. Just got mine today.
I was going to start reading 'Finnikin of the Rock' today, But I think I'm gonna start on IQ first bcos I've dying to read this book.