jeremiah's Reviews > Green Lantern: Rebirth

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns

3692015
Aug 11, 10

I'm not really used to "cosmic" scale superheroes (although I guess Hellboy could be considered cosmic), but I really liked the way this story played out.

At the same time, I've never been very fond of the big superhero groups such as the Justice League/Society or the Avengers: I can tolerate each superhero's backstory by itself (imagine a world where...), but throwing all these backstories into the same universe seems to require a much larger leap of faith. Where a group's backstory is shared, such as with X-Men and the Green Lanterns, I don't have as much of a problem.

That said, I really liked this story. I liked the interactions between the Green Lanterns themselves, and the overall mythos description. I also think that there is something about the cosmic scale of the story that lends the reader to being able to make a larger leap of faith in terms of what the Green Lantern universe can entail.

Like most superhero comic books, there were a lot of moments where I felt I was missing some key story element that was probably explained in some past comic, but the writer did a good job keeping these minimal.

Overall this seemed like a really good introduction to the Green Lantern comics and I'm excited to see what's to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.