♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > Infamous

Infamous by Suzanne Brockmann

Jan 12, 14

bookshelves: audiobook, genre-contemporary, published-2010, read-2010, genre-suspense, steam-mild
Read from July 28 to August 02, 2010

3.5 stars. I liked it, but didn't love it. While it was a romance between AJ and Alison, the main character was really James - AJ's 101 year old great grandpa's ghost. No, this isn't a paranormal romance. It is a straight contemporary romance with a ghost who helps (and helps, and helps, and HELPS!) to solve murders, rescue dying people and relay messages among the living.

The ghost (James) had a great back story that was interesting when he was alive, but his incarnation as a ghost who 'returned' to set the story of his life straight was tooooo convenient, and much of the story's progression relied on James’s mystical involvement one way or another. He was always in the right place and the right time, had a full grasp of today's lingo and technology, and was conveniently projected to scenes that would help him solve the big mystery, capture the bad guys, keep everyone safe, or even dole out his timely wise relationship advice. OK, sure.

AJ and Alison's romance was pretty simple. AJ isn't convinced he is really seeing great gramps ghost, but after a few weeks of persuasive tactics he goes to Arizona where Alison is working on a movie about James's life. Alison and AJ lock eyes, and sparks fly. Soon, clothes fly too. Then Alison learns that “perfect man” AJ was once an alcoholic (ten years sober) and he see's ghosts, which thus begins Alison’s long wishy-washy 'I can't decide what to do' diatribe that lasted through most of the book. Meanwhile, AJ realizes Alison's life is in danger so he enlists the help of James to keep Alison safe while at the same time trying to convince her that they are meant for each other, and not just for the hot sex they keep having.

Overall, it was good but not great. It is a stand alone, and there were no story arcs like we are used to in her Troubleshooters series. And while I am still waiting anxiously for the next TS book (Izzy’s story!!), I don’t think I’d be inclined to read anymore of her ghost stories – that is if she writes anymore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infamous.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review KarlynP, I do have to admit their has been some nice covers coming out of late...

♡Karlyn P♡ The cover is great, and AJ did wear a cowboy hat.

Norma Great review.

message 4: by Ridley (new)

Ridley Oh man, that ghost gimmick would've made me crazy. You're a kinder reader than I am.

message 5: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Aug 09, 2010 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Ridley wrote: "Oh man, that ghost gimmick would've made me crazy. You're a kinder reader than I am."

It was a different twist, that is for sure. I've read some straight romances that sprinkle a little ghost story, cosmic intervention and/or psychic abilities into the plot, but this is the first time I've seen it become a lead character and main plot device for an entire book. It also stole a lot of thunder from the hero as the ghost was the big problem solver for darn near everything, which usually is meant for the hero. Unless you are a big Brockmann fan, I can't say I'd recommend it.

KarenH Ugh, this audio book is killing me. Ridley's got the ghost thing right...the guy is making me nuts! He talks fast, he talks constantly, he's everywhere all the time. And yeah Karen you're right...he knows way too much about the present when he died over 30 years ago. How did he know what a cell phone was? And the narrator switch every chapter isn't working...can't deal with the guy and his nasal congestion. Is there anything else I can bitch about? Probably, but fortunately we won't have to hear it because I'm hitting the 'pause for eternity' button right now. So glad I found your review before I wasted any more prime listening time!
SmileyCentral.com

On a happier Brockmann note, if you haven't listened to Frisco's Kid I totally recommend the audio. It was excellent!

Susan Swansburg I agree with your take completely.

♡Karlyn P♡ Thanks Susan!