Kim Marshall's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Feb 19, 2012

bookshelves: fiction

** spoiler alert ** "Are you carrying the fire?" ... "Are you one of the good guys?"

Perhaps these are questions we should each ask ourselves ... Are we in our everyday existence just existing or do we have "the fire" ... Do we care about others and is how we go through life perhaps even more important than just getting through life. Are we "the good guys"?

This was an unbelievably oppressive and yet just as up lifting story. Told, for me at least, in a very believable and interesting way. (See note below on one small issue with believability.)

I will not give much detail but this is a great work of fiction and unfortunately probably way too real as well.

A minor detail that did bothered me throughout the book was that McCarthy clearly took some poetic license with the environmental setting. The fact that seemingly no other life except man has survived this apocalypse is very odd indeed ... I suspect he used this to make the story more about man against man as opposed to man against nature ... but this part is most probably an inaccurate portrayal of such an event ... many creatures would no doubt do quite well in the world he otherwise describes ... for example flies and worms they would love all of the rotting flesh ... and bodies would decompose ... there would be bacteria still I think ... but this is simply logical stubbornness on my part and does not really detract from the story as it is told.

I thinks anyone who does not mind being made very uncomfortable to learn about who and what we are as humans will enjoy this work!!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

07/28/2010 page 25