Hamda Almuhairi's Reviews > A Little Wanting Song

A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

Jul 31, 2010

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, ya, teenfic, 2010, music
Read from July 28 to 29, 2010

"At six o'clock the sun rises and lights the car from the out-side. Blinds us almost. Dad squints through his glasses at the road, but me? I close my eyes. I like things better when I listen. Everything in this world's got a voice; most people don't hear hard enough is all. Sunrise sounds like slow chords dripping from my guitar this morning. Sad chords, in B-flat"

Meet Charlie Duskin: has a great voice that she mostly uses in the shower, plays the guitar, has an amazing and funny personality while people think her meek and boring.

You hear her tell you the story and you find out the rest all on your own, unraveling shell by shell till your amazed by this awesome person who's been through a lot under all these layers...

On the other hand, we've got Rose Butler: country-girl that wants much more than what life at town can give her, has brains, and doesn't want to end like her mother--pregnant and stuck in town.

Two very different as-big-as-life characters that might seem similar only at first, but then grow distinct and beautiful in their own ways.

From the beginning, I thought Rose was a bitch and only thought of herself, stringing her two best friends: Luke Holly (who's also Rose's boyfriend) and Dave Robbie (who's interested in Charlie) along. But the things that went inside her and the things she wanted totally blew me out.

I kind of understand the way she feels, plus she turned out be pretty nice and caring when I got to know her better.

The romance was just perfect and sweet too. Definitely not LOVE-AT-SIGHT romance. It was gradual and took years in the making (Charlie knew Dave since she was seven or eight).

But the relationship between Luke and Rose had been on edge half-way through the book because of many reasons and disagreements.

But really, this is just a story that can happen anywhere in the world with situations that are pretty common.

But their characters would just jump at you, I guarantee it. Even characters other than the two narrators you'd come to love like family.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Wanting Song.

07/28/2010 page 149
65.0% "I love this book. Crowley's writing is wicked"