Marcia Berg Haskell's Reviews > Summer Sisters

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

May 03, 11

bookshelves: woman-to-woman, modern-life
Read from April 15 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy

"Judy Blume first won legions of fans with such young adult classics as Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret and Forever, in which she tackles the cultural hot button of teenage sexuality. In Summer Sisters, her third novel for adults, the author again explores the ramifications of love--and lust--on two friends. Initially, the differences between Caitlin Somers and Victoria Leonard (or "Vix," as Caitlin christens her) draw them together: privileged Caitlin is wild and outspoken, beautiful but emotionally fragile, while working-class Vix is shy, reserved, and plain in comparison. After Caitlin selects Vix to accompany her to her father's home in Martha's Vineyard for the summer, the two become inextricably connected as "summer sisters."

On the Vineyard, Vix and Caitlin first find love, then sex--and lots of it. Yet Blume soon moves beyond hot fun in the summer sun, tracing the romantic and familial travails of the two from pre-adolescence to adulthood. Solid Vix evolves into Victoria, an equally solid, Harvard-educated, Manhattan public-relations exec. Unpredictable Caitlin opts out of college and travels to Europe, where she has a string of short-lived affairs with a series of intriguing (in every sense of the word) foreigners. It is only after she returns to the Vineyard that Caitlin does the unthinkable, forever changing both her friendship with Vix and their lives. Blume once again proves herself a master of the female psyche, and Summer Sisters is likely to entertain both her postadolescent and more mature readers. "

I found this book discouraging. Judy Blume tries to capture the angst of girls from teen age through adulthood. The book presents a modern style of writing that allows the reader to project their own interpretations into what the author is trying to say. For me, the author does not succeed in presenting real people or real situations. Certainly, she is presenting a set of people who think they are entitled to do and say whatever they want and still need, want and expect that friendship is without conditions and unchangeable despite their actions. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Sisters.