Daniela's Reviews > The Russian Concubine

The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall

Aug 02, 10

Read from July 28 to August 02, 2010

This book started out well. I liked Kate Furnivall's narrative style, and really enjoyed the fact that it was set in Junchow in the 1920s. This was an interesting time for China, due to the strong presence of foreigners from Europe and the United States, who were living in settlements (called international settlements, that were divided based on nationalities of the inhabitants) in China's major cities. I liked reading about life in the different sections of the settlements and about what was going on in China at this time, in terms of the communist struggle and Chiang Kai Shek. what I did not like, though, is that this book evolved into a full-fledged romance novel.
This book was given me as a gift from my mother. It sat on my shelf for a year, before I finally gave in and read it (after my mother would call to ask me if I'd read it at least three times a month.)
They say to not judge a book by its cover, but I should have known by the cover of this one that it was going to be a romance novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Russian Concubine.

07/28/2010