Anne's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Nov 06, 10

Read from October 19 to November 06, 2010

This is one of those books that seems to be published to a bunch of advanced hype - the library queue must have been up to 150 people before the library even had one copy of it on the shelves. Even after reading the description of the book, I had no idea what it was about. But I'm a sucker for whatever everyone else is reading, so I took a leap. A couple chapters in, all I could think was, "What the heck is this book about?" There was a story about a 6-year old girl abandoned at a convent by her prostitute mother. Another story about an explorer or researcher of some sort who lost his team to an unknown disease in some faraway jungle. And then there is definitely some kind of unauthorized military experiment being done on death row inmates. What follows is some sort of crazy cross between Cormac McCarthy's The Road, and a zombie-vampire thriller. But, despite my inability to explain what it's all about, the story holds together failry well and includes some very likeable characters, including Amy, a strange little girl with inexplicable powers (some of which I don't think were ever fully explained). It's an end-of-days horror story with personality. Definitely worthy of the hype.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.