Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*'s Reviews > His Hearth

His Hearth by Mary Calmes

This was a good book. It’s not a deep book so the characters aren’t developed as a lot of people like them to be but I didn’t mind that.

The book starts with Julian in a position where a cheating ex confronts him at a celebration dinner and is saved by a friend, Ryan, who’s also a client. It goes onto Ryan and Julian eventually hooking up and starting to date. Ending with Julian getting a surprise when he’s attacked in his own home by demons and learns Ryan is what’s called a Warder. They protect humans from dangerous creatures and Julian is his Hearth, a person Warders emotionally invest in. Without Hearths’ Warders will die and unfortunately there aren’t many of them out there. But Julian is one and he’s Ryan’s. When Ryan explains this, Julian takes it pretty well. Accepting what he’s told and eventually asking to kind of experience it by watching as Ryan fights the demons.

I would have rated this 5 stars and the only reason why I didn’t was because I felt the relationship between Julian and Ryan wasn’t developed as much as it could have been and I thought the ending was rushed. There’s definitely action, romance and paranormal elements in this book but I would have liked to see more of the aftereffects of Julian and Ryan after Julian learns the truth. As it was, once he learns it and sees Ryan fight the bad guys, we don’t get much else.

Forewarning, some people might not like this book because they may think it’s unbelievably impossible for any of this to happen but that’s the point. It’s fiction, and on top of that, fantasy, so there are no rules. When reading this book, you have to keep that in mind because whether the blurb makes it seem like it or not, this is a contemporary fantasy, not just a contemporary, but it’s still an enjoyable read and you’ll get a few laughs from it, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Hearth.

Comments (showing 1-15)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Bookwatcher seems a great book! Just saw that the second will be release now! YEY, looking forward to read your opinion about this serie!

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* This book was good and I can't wait for the second one either. I already pre-ordered it. Lol

I'll see if I can do a little skim through on this one and post a small review for ya! ;-)

Bookwatcher I saw conflicted reviews... some 1 star, you 4... I'm curious why you like it so much, while other hate it... maybe is a love/hate book?

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* I think some people didn't like it because it's techinically classified as a contemporary but it has demons and such in it... This is where the problem comes in when publishers don't have new releases labeled under genres because some people think they're getting one thing but end up reading another... I'm working on the review now. ;-)

Bookwatcher Nikyta wrote: "I think some people didn't like it because it's techinically classified as a contemporary but it has demons and such in it... This is where the problem comes in when publishers don't have new relea..."

Great, I will read your review...
And yeah... Maybe is that... When the book is a paranormal romance the plot must say it.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* There you go, missy! I think you'll like it. :D

Bookwatcher Nikyta wrote: "There you go, missy! I think you'll like it. :D"

WOW

Great review!

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yeah. I know. It sometimes annoys me when the blurb makes the story sound like something else.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Bookwatcher wrote: "Nikyta wrote: "There you go, missy! I think you'll like it. :D"

WOW

Great review!"

*curtsy* Thanks, Camila! Wrote it just for you! ;-)

I've never had an audience applaud me before... Should I give a speech? Lol

Bookwatcher Me too, and that's why I ask you. I saw the book and reading the description was impossible understand is was a romance or a paranormal romance. After you review everything is very clear! thanks!!

message 5: by Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* (last edited Nov 23, 2010 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Bookwatcher wrote: "Me too, and that's why I ask you. I saw the book and reading the description was impossible understand is was a romance or a paranormal romance. After you review everything is very clear! thanks!!"

You are most welcome, lovey.

I'm glad I could help. :D

Bookwatcher If you want there is also a banana cheering for you speech
[image error]

Speech, speech, speech (the audience is asking)

;-)

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol

*steps on stage and clears throat*

I would like to take the time to thank my dear friend, Camila.

Ummm... that's it. *blushes*

Thank you.

*runs off stage*

message 2: by Bookwatcher (last edited Nov 23, 2010 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bookwatcher The banana is not happy with this little speech.. Nope.... He will keeping cheering!
"we want more, we want more, we want more"
(the angry audience scream)
:-p

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Bookwatcher wrote: "The banana is not happy with this little speech.. Nope.... He will keeping cheering!
"we want more, we want more, we want more"
(the angry audience scream)
:-p"