Mel's Reviews > Dreams of a Dark Warrior

Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole

Feb 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from February 15 to 25, 2011

Actually: 3,5 stars, but I'm going to bump it up to 4 for entertainment value.

Dreams if a Dark Warrior is the eleventh in the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole and this time it's Regin the Radiant- Valkyrie, notorious swords(wo)man and prankster- battling the odds to find true love. It's a long, hard road, as her fated one turns out to be a human with a vehement hate against anything supernatural.

This book started out great. Regin is smart and funny and in combination with Nïx, she's downright hilarious. There were many laugh out loud moments in the first 300 pages. In contrast, our hero Declan Chase is the brooding, sulking type. His past and the way it influences his future is really dark and the book's intensity level was upped a notch because of it. I really enjoyed the first part of the book because of the high level of tension and the conflicting thoughts and wide variety of emotions.

Sadly though, it went wayward after about 350 pages. The story was all over the place while the plot stopped making sense. There was a track through the wilderness, which is probably the fourth time something similar happens in the series. Adding to the feelings of repetition is the fact that to me all Cole's women start to sound alike. They have a very distinct voice in the beginning of their books, but once they start accepting their mate and start softening up, their inner voices are interchangeable. It could have been Carrow or Lucia talking, I didn't see Regin anymore.
On top of that I was disappointed by the fact that Declan Chase got turned into one of Cole's Scottish werewolves. In the beginning of the story he's a human from Northern Ireland and at the end he talks in monosyllables, growls a lot and throws a 'ken' and an 'aye' in for good measure. Why? I liked Declan just the way he was.

So unfortunately, to me, the highlights of the last part of the book wasn't the happy couple, but a plotting vampire and a mysterious but adorable high school kid. I still can't see why Lothaire - the Enemy of the Old- is supposed to be so scary, but he is funny as hell. Thad was adorable and I loved his interactions with 'mister Lothaire'.

Thad and Lothaire saved the book from a lower rating. I hope the next book is less lengthy and more focused, so that Cole can keep doing what she's good at: entertain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of a Dark Warrior.

02/15/2011 page 1
0.0% 5 comments
02/16/2011 page 58
11.0% "Nix got a bat from a secret admirer. Please let it be Lothaire!!!" 2 comments
02/18/2011 page 201
39.0% "Liking it a lot so far.
Keeping my fingers crossed for more on Lothaire and he shoud be with Nix, damnit!" 25 comments
02/19/2011 page 229
44.0% "Oh Nïx, I love you!" 25 comments
02/21/2011 page 393
76.0% "Whoa! I think Thad is half vampire half incubus. Just a theory." 24 comments
02/24/2011 page 482
94.0% "Just as I was thinking the love scene was hot, our hero Declan says the word 'quim'. Better yet: 'tight little quim'. Takes me right out of it..." 8 comments

Shay You think?

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I hope so! The one wıth Carrow was way less fun than I thought ıt would...

Shay Yeah, I know.
I was voting on the "best 2010 book" survey and was actually surprised to find there. apparently lots of people loved it. weird...

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Well... First Drop of Crimson was on it too, so...

Shay LOL

Shay Tomorrow

message 7: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I am shocked and appalled. I usually get books early. Last one was out the 31st of August and I got it like the 12th or something. And now: nothing!
Pooh!

Shay Could it be? I'l be reading a new released book before you do???

I've got the first 48 pages from KC's web-site on PDF. I'm planning to start reading it today and finish it just in time for the official release.

You want?

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Please! You still got my email?

message 10: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Got it.

Have fun...

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Thanks babe! :)

Lauraadriana Nothing says "forever in love" like getting mixed up with a brutal celtic soldier...right? ;)

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh yes! Soldiers.... *sigh*

Lauraadriana Mel wrote: "Oh yes! Soldiers.... *sigh*

:)"

Soldiers indeed *ugh*...Feliz Dia de San Valentin Melike Dear :)

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Muchos gracias and you too babe. I hope you spend it more useful than I did :)

Lauraadriana Mel wrote: "Muchos gracias and you too babe. I hope you spend it more useful than I did :)"

Current plan is getting drunk with my girlfriends...but hey they night is young and so am I ;o)

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel *grin*

message 18: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren I'm already pre-ordered it too Mel :D

Have you read the excerpt? About Aidan's past?

Just wanna say.. WOW! ;)

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Whooooot! I just picked the book up! Apparently there was a problem with some deliveries from the US, so this time I only got it one day early.
I'll probably finish it way after you chicks, but still :)

message 20: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Ren, this is going to be fuuuuun!

message 21: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren So lucky you already have it :(...

My copy arrived 3 weeks later.. (I preordered from bookdepository, free shipping ^_*)

message 22: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay YOU GOT THE BOOK?! Damn. I was so close this time...

message 23: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I haven't started it yet though. I promised I'd read a novella first with a dear GR friend. But I'm almost halfway with that one.

message 24: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay LOL

OK then...

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yeah you'll be finished waaaay before me. I'm sure.
Hey but girls (except for Ren, sorry: but at least you got free shipping and you bought it for less money than I did) LET'S READ IT TOGETHER!
I love group reads. I totally suck at them, but I do love them :)

message 26: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren No big problem Mel ^_*..
I think I will avoid to read some Dream's review here *lol*
Happy reading! :D

message 27: by Shay (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Mel, Lets!

I've never done a group read... do we set some rulls or is it free read for all - just, at the time?

message 28: by Mel (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh it's just fun, simultanious reading. And commenting to each other in between if we feel it's necessary. I did it with very heavy and intense books. Don't think I'll need to vent or rant or cry as much now though, LOL.
I think I'll start it tonight.

message 29: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay OK. feel free to rant.
:) I'll start it tonight after work as well. dont have much time to read... why cant i quit my job and close myselfe in my bedroom. WHY?!

message 30: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh, exactly my thoughs! I'm glad we're in about the same time scedule. You're one hour ahead of me right?

Oh damnit: I'm going to the gym tonight too! Why must we subject ourselves to jobs, physical excercise and social lives? Blah!

message 31: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Any rants so far?

message 32: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Not yet. I just started. Declan hasn'even captured Regin yet.
I liked the bit where she was 12, liked the bantering and that she said "But Wodan has no beard."

What I don't get is that it always seemed as if they had just kissed once. While she lived with him for 7 months and they had sex (once).

How far are you?

message 33: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Mel wrote: "What I don't get is that it always seemed as if they had just kissed once."

Read on, You'll get a broader view later on...

I think I'm around Ch.10 maybe less. I'm trying to take it slow, plus i dont have muxh time to read... But its awesome so far. and disturbing. interesting mix.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus I dont know if it is because its Cole, and its IAD but I only just finished Chapter 3 and I cant put it down!

Mel you know me and how i can stay up and soilder on and read read read but I cant keep my friken eyes opened and I want to READ! Im going to have to go sleep get a good night sleep and do an all night tomorrow!

Bleh seriously why cant I just be a Valkyrie and not need sleep?

message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL. No need to eat or sleep. Oh just think of the amounts of extar time to read1 :)

Well, Mersina, I;m glad you're putting it down because otherwise you'd be too far ahead of me.

Shay, I am chapter 1 still, but I'm working so I won't be able to get to it until tonight. Which is good I think. I notice that I don't always enjoy books I finish in one read.

message 36: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay s'OK, I've got work and then classes till later tonight so i'll be lucky if to squeez in 2 hours of reading tops.

And i know what you mean about one-sitters... good books should b savored.

I gota tell ya, i just love IAD's world! someone at work asked me how can i read "that stuff" (pppffff) when i've got "normal" (double pufffff) and "realistic" books all around... so i told him:

Some read to remember. i read to forget. Got a problem with that? HA? HA? HA? !?! **pooffing chest**

I think i scared him

message 37: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL I say the same when people comment on my books.
Reading is escapism for me!

Btw: Nix got a bat from a secret admirer. Please let it be Lothaire!!! I know he's incarcerated and all, but I'm hoping she got it before.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus hahahahahaha I love the bat thing! The image of Nix I have in my head is a hella of a image!

message 39: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Where are you at Mersina?

I didn't read anything more today. It's almost almost eleven and I'm almost home. Hope to read some then :)

message 40: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Okay, I'm so slow it's embarrassing. I fell asleep yesterday after coming home late. So I'm still at the beginning of chapter two.
I'm wondering though: Declan states that his commander wants Nix to be left alone. Can he be her HEA maybe? I hope not. It should be Lothaire!!!

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus I am only early stages too. I went to bed early was so friken tired! All day at work I have been thinking of the series!

I finished chapter 2 (but you have to say they are very long chapters!) Am about to start #3!!

message 42: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Good, good, then I'm not too far behind :)

I'm liking it till now. A bit dark. Although, with Carrow's book I thought it would be dark too, what with Malkom's tortured hero potential, but it turned out a bit sappy... :S

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus I have to agree I am liking thus far it is dark, a lot darker than Carrows book and any book so far.

But I like the difference in the tone set. Even though R is the crazy one I think if the booked reflected to much on her personality it would be overkill!

message 44: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Ow... I'm in for quite a ride then :)
Bah, still at work. Won't be able to read much till very late tonight.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus Im 48% through my book and I hate to say it is very slow! Toooooo slow. All it is is talking talking & more talking but I need some action.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus uhhhhh its getting interesting hahahahaha

Its 11pm here and I need to be up at 5 for work! Sleep or not to sleep that is the question!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ I'm starting it.

message 48: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay 60% in. WOW What a book.
Marsina - i think i'll pass on sleep tonight! I NEED TO KNOW HOW IT WILL END UP!!!!

Mel - No ranting from me so far. I love it!

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus Shay!!! Dont say that! I am 73% in and its midnight and I need to be up in 5hours! FML!

It finally picks up and I need to friken sleep! hmmm just one more chapter!

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus Ok so just finished chapter 41! Im going to bed! Red bull, no doz and some hefty vitamins so I can stay awake at work and continue reading tomorrow night!

From where I am at I just cant see how Cole will have Chase/Aidan & Regin be together! It just seems DOOMED!

Enjoy ladies!