Nic's Reviews > Darkness Becomes Her

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011, paranormal-supernatural-world, debut-2011, arc, ebook, read-in-2011
Read from February 11 to 13, 2011

Rating: 3.5 stars

Darkness Becomes Her is a well needed refreshingly different young adult paranormal read. From it misfit bunch of characters to its action packed plot, it was very unique and completely intriguing.

From page one it is pretty much just go, go, go. Fast paced with a thumping narrative. It is dark, edgy and a little creepy. The story is a mix of mostly mythology with touch of paranormal. Sometimes I got lost with the history and everything else going that I had to go back and re-read parts. Something was off with the flow of this story for me. But the mysterious plot that had me hooked kept pushing me through those moments that I struggled.

My favourite element of this story is the characters. Distinctive, well rounded and fascinating. Ari is strong, smart, independent and doesn't take any crap for anyone. When all hell breaks lose she doesn't stand back and worry about what to do she gets in their and kicks some butt. There is a whole gang of misfit secondary characters in this story that I adored especially Violet. She is a wonderfully odd little character but certainly one that gets into your heart.

Their is a touch of romance. Ari and Sebastian act on attraction pretty quickly but they didn't pretend it to be something is wasn't. It certainly wasn't sweet but rather some sizzling chemistry . I am very curious to see how their feelings will grow and change (hopefully into something with meaning) in the next installment.

Overall, Darkness Becomes Her is a solid debut novel that has left me curious to see what is coming next in this original and imaginative series.

Thanks to Simon Pulse (S&S Galley Grab) for providing me with a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Becomes Her.

02/11/2011 page 47
16.0% "Like so far :)"
02/11/2011 page 159
55.0% "Hmmmm.." 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Great review Nic! I might give this one a try as well.

~Tina~ Great review! I'm gonna re-read this one day, it might have just been my mood:(

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic Thanks guys.

Tina, maybe re-read it once the series is finished.

message 4: by Nomes (new)

Nomes awesome review. you always find the words to perfectly describe the vibe of a book!

also, you are SO good at reading all your ebooks ~ do you just read them on a laptop? does it feel weird? I'm scared... ;/

~Tina~ Good idea, Twinie:)

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic @ Nomes - I am not really a fan of reading on the laptop but they are so many good books available on Galley Grab and Netgalley that I can't resist. My eyes are always sore afterward. Not long and I will be getting a kindle but I still prefer a good old fashioned book!

@ Tina - I wonder how many books there will be in the series?

message 7: by ~Tina~ (last edited Feb 22, 2011 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Tina~ I prefer books too, but I have to admit, I'm loving Netgalley and Galley Grab!!

I'm not sure, but I think I'm gonna give this book another go.

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Great review Nic. This one expired on me. Just didn't catch my attention.

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars