Keith Swenson's Reviews > The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Jul 27, 10

Read from July 19 to 27, 2010, read count: 1

Gave it four stars because the book gave me a glimpse into the truly amazing world of string theory. Brian Greene has a gift for explaining these incredibly complex things in a way that makes sense to readers.

The first quarter of the book covers special and general relativity. I have a degree in Physics along with some graduate studies in the field, and while I know this subject well, I felt the author's descriptions are apt and approachable. He tells stories to get the main concepts across, without bogging down in equations or complex math. The second quarter is on quantum theory, and again I can vouch that his descriptions are very good for getting concepts across.

The second half is then on string theory and how this shows the promise, not yet realized, to integrate all that is known in to a single unified theory. The last book I read on string theory was almost 20 years ago, and quite frankly I could not understand the concepts at that time. Now with the descriptions from Brian Greene I feel I have a basic understanding of what people are working on and hope to achieve.

String theory is really mind-blowing. It is a case of fact being stranger than fiction. The pace of the book is sometimes slow, but that is understandable given the bizarre complexity of the subject. It is not an easy read, but one with a lot of rewards if you can make your way to the end. If like me, you always wanted to know recent thinking about the nature of the universe, (well, 10 years ago at this point) and never had the chance, this is your book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elegant Universe.

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Have probably owned this book since shortly after it came out. Guess I should read it before it becomes totally obsolete!