Amy's Reviews > The Hour I First Believed

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

Aug 02, 10

Read from July 27 to August 01, 2010

Wally Lamb is one of my favorite authors and his latest book did not disappoint. Lamb has a gift for character development by really getting into their heads. So much so that I can't seem to get them out of mine. This story could almost have been broken into several books due to three in depth story lines, which he was able to thread together here. Caelum Quirk and his wife Maureen survive through the tragedy of Columbine only to have their lives ripped apart when Maureen is diagnosed with PTSD. After moving to Caelum's family farm, Maureen is involved in a terrible accident which takes her away from home for quite a while. During this time Caelum discovers a whole host of family secrets and history that he has to work through primarily on his own. Several twists at the end are heartbreaking, but Lamb was able to tie up the book without putting a permanent damper on the story. Lamb's books are intense and often sorrowful, but it is because of this that they are also touching and lasting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour I First Believed.