Ren's Reviews > Dreams of a Dark Warrior

Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole

For Indonesian crowd, read my review here : Ren's Little Corner

More than 5 stars and Top Read 2012

Some big questions for me :
Why it take me so long to read this?
Maybe because I wait for Lothaire?
Maybe its just not held my interest last year, since I'm too picky?
Maybe I just tired of paranormal romance genre so I try another?
Maybe, maybe, maybe...

Right now I just can said : I'm so ASHAMED to not read this a long time ago, when this book coming out, because Kresley Cole is gooooooood!! edited:GREAT . One of my author goddes, KC show her class, again and again. I find myself to not frantic about her. Some her books like No Rest for the Wicked, Dark Needs at Night's Edge (with sexy Nathan Kamp's cover) and Demon from the Dark are my favorite, then I realize all that books are about vampires. Kresley sure make a good and sexy vampire, not that sparkle thing if you know what I mean [wink]. Others I find it okay or yeah, or good, and I think I'm not Lykae and Demon fans. Weird, eh? At last you that love Woede's brothers and all those Highland Lykaes are save from my harem-searching-all-day-long :P.
That's why I don't have any expectation for this one.

Guess I'm WRONG. Because the reincarnation theme in this book is well-written. Aidan The Fierce is reborn again and again just to chase his eternally lovers, Reginleit the Radiant. But the curse always overshadow them, if Aidan's reincarnation remember his past, soon after he bedding Regin, he will die. And for his 4th reincarnation as Declan Chase (heh, a suitable name, isn't it?) fate can be cruel. Once a lover, now enemy. Since Declan is a Magister of The Order who orchestrated the Loreans capture, including Regin. But, Regin who recognize him as her lover, lure him to free her and another creatures. Even her heart want Declan, more than she want her perfect Viking. This scarful and tortured Irishman might be capture her heart as well and Regin know its Declan who she want, not Aidan.

The prologue of Dreams of a Dark Warrior tell us about how Aidan and Regin meet. How we know, even Aidan own Regin's body and soul, her heart still her own. That's why she can't love Aidan fully, while she do the otherwise with Declan. I'm glad how Miss Cole done with Declan's fate. To make him not swallowed by Aidan soul, not like the other reincarnation, so he can be himself again and finally accept what he long denied, an immortal beserker.

One thing surprised me, how I found myself to be atrracted to Lothaire! No, I never fans of Lothaire, esp when he break Lucia's neck at Pleasure of a Dark Prince! He seems so egois, cunning, evil, with his own agenda. But he mesmerized me with his can't-be-predicted mind. Like who he will assist at the battle. If they not take a side with him, he will fight them. I wonder who is his EndGame? And what he means with "The White Queen will never take The Black King" to Nix (who Lothaire called Phenix). So who the white queen , if The black King is Lothaire himself? We also get a hint how Lothaire always thinking about his bride. After I read Lothaire book's exceprt, I wonder if he had discovered his Bride's whereabout. And how with La Dorada? Is she truly dead or just vanished?

So many question. [sigh] After all, Dreams of a Dark Warrior is a great read that KC fans will cherish. Readers will love Regin's dry (or not) joke, Declan's tortured attitude (but after the half part, he become man who make woman swoon, sure when he not denied his original nature any longer. His "drug addict" condition might be make some readers feel uncomfortable, but I found that's its not a big deal. There just a few scenes) and other characters as well. Natalya the dark Fey, Brandr, immortal beserker, a friend of Aidan and Regin's protector and Thaddeus or Thad, an anomaly at Lore, which I assumed will be a hero for KC's YA series. Don't forget about Lothaire. Oh, and I'm so want Nix will get her own story, since we know she not mean to be with Lothaire! (I'm right, eh? [snicker])

Now the waiting for Lothaire's book which called LOTHAIRE, will be a torture. With capital T.

Favorite scene :

Nix's message to Declan :

Begin transcript—

Testing. Hello, hellooo, anybody out there? Check, check, one, two. Soft pee. Puh, puh. Resonance! Sooooooft pee. Alpha bravo disco tango duck.

This is Nïx! I’m the Ever-Knowing One, a goddess incandescent, incomparable, and irresistible. But enough about what you think of me. It’s a beautiful day in New Orleans. The wind is out of the east at a steady five knots and clouds look like rabbits … But enough about what you think of me!

Now, down to business—

Squirrel!

Where was I? [Long pause] Why am I in Regin’s car? Bertil, you crawl right back out of that bong this minute!

Oh, I remember! I am hereby laying down this track for Magister Declan Chase. If you are a mortal of the recorder peon class, know that Dekko and I go waaaaay back, and he’ll go berserk (snicker snicker) if he doesn’t receive this transmittal. …

Chase, riddle me this: what’s beautiful but monstrous, long of tooth but sharp of tooth and soft of mind, and can never ever tell a lie?
That’s right. The Enemy of Old can be very useful to you. So use him already.

P.S. Your middle name’s about to be spelled r-e-g-r-e-t.
And with that, I must bid you adieu. Don’t worry, we’ll catch up very soon. …

[Muffled] Who’s mummy’s wittle echolocator? That’s right—you are!

Declan to Regin :

"Nothing will stop me from claiming you this night. Nothing!"

"Then you're going to widow me again? Don't you care about me?"

He gripped her nape."I fuckin' love you, Regin!" Rain spiked his lashes as he gazed down at her, commanding her, "Love me back!"

Can't lose him."J-Just wait, Aidan!"

Hies eyes went wild again; he threw back his head and roared, his neck straining.

"Please, Aidan, be calm!"

When he faced her again, he bellowed, "I'am 'no goddamned Aidan! You're talking to Declan. Do you no see me, woman?"

My pic of Declan :

I think Tom Hardy will portrayed Declan Chase perfectly ;)
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of a Dark Warrior.

Quotes Ren Liked

Kresley Cole
“I can draw you a diagram. Hint: I'm slot B, and you're tab A.”
Kresley Cole, Dreams of a Dark Warrior

01/15/2012 page 229
44.0% "Testing. Hello, hellooo, anybody out there? Ceck, check, one, two. Soft pee. Puh,puh. Resonance. Sooooooooft pee. Alpha bravo disco tango duck."

message 2: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks Lady D! =)

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana awesome review! i was crazy and had this book for months and wouldn't read it. I thought i hated declan and didn't want to go there, i was being a romance snob. then one day i picked it up and couldnt put it down. it was delicious!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Ren! I love Kresley Cole and this series. I had a hard time forgiving Declan, though, even by the end.

And yes, amazing how LC made Lothaire so attractive, right? I was very intrigued with him in this book and am eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive.

message 5: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Tai the Lioness wrote: "awesome review! i was crazy and had this book for months and wouldn't read it. I thought i hated declan and didn't want to go there, i was being a romance snob. then one day i picked it up and coul..."

Thank you Tai! =D. Yeah, I hate Declan at Demon from The Darks, so that's why I always decline to read this. Now I'm torn between regret why just read this now and happy I'm not wait any longer to read Lothaire, yay!!

message 6: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, Ren! I love Kresley Cole and this series. I had a hard time forgiving Declan, though, even by the end.

Oh, why? :O I forgive Declan when he no longer denied his berserker nature. I'm so easy, LOL! And love the scene when he said he's not Aidan , but Declan, to Regin =).

Do you order the paperback of Lothaire, Jayne? I know I'm sound crazy, but I order hardcopy because the model cover is Paul Marron!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I felt bad for Declan. He was very messed up. So I didn't have an issue with forgiving him, but (view spoiler)

message 8: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I felt bad for Declan. He was very messed up. So I didn't have an issue with forgiving him, but [spoilers removed]"

Ah yes, that problem. Funny, its not bothered me =/. I think because Declan always fighting his nature, that's why he do that

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I know, Ren and Danielle. I mean, I did mostly forgive Declan, by the end, but some of the things he did was just so messed up.

@Ren: I ordered the UK paperback. But knowing how much you like Paul Marron, I can completely understand why you ordered the hardcover, Ren! ^_^

Ren, my friend Lisarenee got to meet Kresley Cole and Paul Marron! He's so hot! And she looks so pretty and sweet. I'm so jealous! Check out the pics in message 1512 here:

message 10: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "I know, Ren and Danielle. I mean, I did mostly forgive Declan, by the end, but some of the things he did was just so messed up.

@Ren: I ordered the UK paperback. But knowing how much you like Pau..."

So in Declan's case (view spoiler)

Jayne, yeah, not that I have so much money or what. But, I saving my money just to buy the hardcover. Maybe its not healthy, but who can resist Paul Marron? *sigh*

I see your friend's pic with him and I'm so jealous. He look so hot, but still down to earth. I remember once Annie said he always keep his privacy. Glad now he want to interract with his fans. My friend who took a pic with him said he's so nice and humble =)

message 11: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Super review Ren, I have to get back to this series

message 12: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Buggy wrote: "Super review Ren, I have to get back to this series"

Thanks Buggy! What, you stop reading? You MUST continue it! =D

Ashley-Anne Yaa I lied Lothaire more in this book than in his own book! so intriguing

message 14: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. The Tom Hardy Pic: his face is scary... Am I the only one who thinks this?

message 15: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Brittany B. wrote: "The Tom Hardy Pic: his face is scary... Am I the only one who thinks this?"

LOL,I took that pic from his movie "Warrior". I think its suit Declan who damaged both physically and emotionally :) (but I love see Hardy at "This Means War". He's so cute!!)

Ashley-Anne wrote: "Yaa I lied Lothaire more in this book than in his own book! so intriguing"

But Lothaire is not bad too in his own book :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

i am locked out of facebook til some bull is ober 48 hrs oj how i hsve missedyou guyd!!!! SHELLYT

Trish I loved this book!!! Great review.

message 18: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Trish wrote: "I loved this book!!! Great review."

Thanks, Trish! :)