Gary's Reviews > Into the Wild

Jul 27, 10

Recommended to Gary by: Barnes & Noble bookseller
Recommended for: Yes
Read from July 25 to 27, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Never venture into the wilderness without a good map, and always tell someone exactly where you're going, of course that requires that you have the former. But Chris McCandless wanted to go it alone, and with great mystery into the wild unknown... possessed of the American transcendentalist spirit... relying solely upon his intuition and enthusiasm for self-discovery.

I give only three stars because it read like a comparative essay through a greater part of the middle, and way too much about the author's personal adventures. A story in it's own right, but I enjoyed more Chris's!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

message 1: by MC (new)

MC Have you seen the film? I thought it was pretty good, wonder how it holds up in comparison to the book

Gary I did see the film, just the other day. It was good, but I did not like the way they scrolled his journal entries as yellow text across the screen. That was rather annoying. But trivial. They captured the spirit of Chris and his adventure. Oh, but the ending leads you to believe he died from confusion between the edible wild sweet potato and the poisonous sweet pea. That's not exactly correct. According to the book it was because of mold growth on the edible wild potato seeds he kept in a zip lock bag. This mold was poisonous due to his starving condition. Anyway, that's overly technical and a muddy point... overall the movie was good.