Mandy Sue's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

Jul 28, 10

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, read-2010, vampire
Read from July 27 to 28, 2010

Although I hate to start a review with a negative, it almost made me put the book down. The author annoyingly trying to write like a teenage girl would think/speak (avoid anything in parenthesis throughout this book.) That is if that teenage girl was highly religious, living under a rock and/or naive. The author definitely tried to throw in a few moral life lessons for her young audience that went a bit over the top.

Once you get past it, (which sadly won't ease until about halfway through the book) this was an interesting spin on "vampyres." They live among us and are marked by the Goddess Nyx during their human teenage life rather than the more familiar bitten. They then have to go to The House of Night, a school where they will reside and learn what will become of them when they are no longer a fledgling and change into an adult vampire. Not all make it though through the change. It all depends on if your human body accepts the change.

They learn interesting subjects in "school" and take part in ceremonies and rituals celebratory to their Goddess Nyx. The author was either trying to relate the practice to either pagan or wiccan ceremonies. I'm sure if I look up the "prayers" I will see where they came from with a bit of Native American added to it.

A very interesting change from the other series' out there. I am going to continue with the series because I liked the fresh storyline but I hope as the books get deeper and deeper the author leaves her moral lessons to herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.