Rachel's Reviews > Spoken from the Heart

Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush

Jul 27, 2010

bookshelves: biography, educational-informational, get-out-your-tissue-box, humorous
Read from July 09 to 12, 2010

Regardless of your political views, this is a well-written, thoughtful work. The book providse a very detailed account of Laura Bush's life (from her own memories, notes, and official government logs). Her voice and perspective exude class and character.

My favorite moment in the book came when Laura described her struggle with infertility:

"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence. For the loss of a parent, grandparent, spouse, child or friend, we have all manner of words and phrases, some helpful some not. Still we are conditioned to say something, even if it is only “I’m sorry for your loss.” But for an absence, for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

Any woman who has felt the burden of delayed motherhood can relate to her story!

She has a sensitivity and poise that are remarkable when you consider the press-weary life she has led. I found it most interesting that Mrs. Bush disagrees with her husband on several of his political positions (including his pro-life stance). However, she was able to be a supportive wife, mother and First Lady without hampering his political objectives or undermining his role as commander in chief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoken from the Heart.