Penny's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

bookshelves: dream-weaver, ya-fiction, penny-s-favorite-books
Recommended to Penny by: Reviewer X, Tatiana, April
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from July 16 to 28, 2010

I'm still on vacation with limited access to the internet so I have to make this quick. To be honest, I spent the majority of this book thinking, "this is a good book, but it's not that good" because I knew exactly what was going on. The "mystery" was never a mystery for me but I kept reading, waiting patiently for this book to blow me away--because I knew it would, eventually, based on all the four and five-star reviews given by trusted Goodreaders (namely Reviewer X, Tatiana and April).

And, yeah, now that I've finished reading Jellicoe Road I can say this book has 'it'. That thing that so few YA books tend to have these days. I don't even know what 'it' is, exactly. But I'll tell you this for free: my cry-holes got leaky during the last fifty pages or so. Yeah, you read that right. I. Cried. And the author didn't have to stoop to throwing some insane manipulative twist at me. She's just that good at writing. Her story came together beautifully for me and I am thoroughly satisfied. This book deserves all sorts of awards.

I will say that I spent the first fifty pages or so wondering what the hell was going on because I was dumb enough to assume the prologue was from the main character's POV. Then I looked back and saw that the incident that happened in the prologue happened twenty-two years before chapter one. Our main character is seventeen years old. So, yeah--not the same person. Just keep that in mind when you pick this book up. Also, you might want to write down the names of the characters mentioned in Hannah's manuscript--who's related to who and whatnot. It makes it much easier to keep track of the story within the story.

Anyway, I love this book. I'm going to start recommending it to anyone who asks. Soooo...read this book. Now.

P.S. I'll probably post a much better review of Jellicoe Road when I get home. Which won't be for a few weeks or so.

22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

Quotes Penny Liked

Melina Marchetta
“What do you want from me?" he asks.
What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him.
More.”
Melina Marchetta, Jellicoe Road

Melina Marchetta
“My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

I counted.

It happened on the Jellicoe Road. The prettiest road I’d ever seen, where trees made breezy canopies like a tunnel to Shangri-La. We were going to the ocean, hundreds of miles away, because I wanted to see the ocean and my father said that it was about time the four of us made that journey. I remember asking, 'What’s the difference between a trip and a journey?' and my father said, 'Narnie, my love, when we get there, you’ll understand,' and that was the last thing he ever said.”
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road

Melina Marchetta
“When I turn around, he cups my face in his hands and he kisses me so deeply that I don't know who is breathing for who, but his mouth and tongue taste like warm honey. I don't know how long it lasts, but when I let go of him, I miss it already.”
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road

07/27/2010 page 325
07/29/2010 page 432
100.0% "Beautiful."

Tatiana I also thought this book had one of the most realistic, tasteful and touching sex scenes I've ever read. What did you think?

Penny Actually, I totally thought the same thing. In other books, especially when it comes to YA, the sex scenes are so incredibly unrealistic. It's always described as terribly romantic and perfect. Pain is never brought into the equation.

Because Marchetta was realistic, but not graphic, with both sex scenes, I felt they were beautiful. More like what I think of when it comes to losing one's virginity. I'm pretty sure I got leaky-eyed while reading these scenes.

Tatiana That book gave me goosebumps and made me teary-eyes quite a few times.

Tatiana I think Jellicoe Road is the kind of book that is better when read second time.