Melissa's Reviews > Warchild

Warchild by Karin Lowachee

Jul 27, 2010

This series is so incredibly amazing, it saddens me that hardly anyone has read it. It has wonderful world building, and great, often intertwining plots, but where it shines the brightest is with its characters and various relationships. All three POV characters are incredibly fleshed out, fascinating, multifaceted people with very different personalities and stories to tell. And the side characters are just as interesting and layered. While some characters do shine, no one falls flat for me.

The overall theme of the series is children in war and the psychology behind being a child soldier, and how growing up in a war effects people.

I truly feel like I have learned a lot about people from reading these books. They have taught me to consider the larger picture when it comes to actions, that on the surface, may seem unforgivable. But can a person really be blamed for their actions when there is a gun pointed at their head? Especially if they are a child? These books make you think, and in the case of Cagebird, sympathize with its morally gray, often edging into black, POV character.

In short, these books are not black and white, good and evil. They are incredibly engaging, often heartbreaking, beautiful stories, and make up one of my favorite series ever.

ETA: Just to be clear, the order of the series (which is still ongoing) is: Warchild, Burndive, then Cagebird.

And just a forewarning, Cagebird is a pretty bleak book and there is some mental abuse, and explicit sexual abuse and rape. If you are easily triggered by any of that, I'd recommend caution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warchild.