Julie Davis's Reviews > The Dying Earth

The Dying Earth by Jack Vance

Aug 31, 10

Read from July 27 to August 01, 2010

#19 - 2010.

This is the September read-along book for SFFaudio in September. It is very short and last year I read a book of Jack Vance's short stories which I really liked so I'm intrigued to see what he does with a longer work.

Finished: Hmmm ... My comments on this book will come on the SFFaudio podcast at the beginning of September.

Update:
Turns out we all either had a lot of trouble with this book or disliked it, which meant there would be very little conversation on the podcast. We are abandoning it and moving on, therefore I will share briefly my comments.

I liked the style, but but found so little else in the stories that I began looking into other reviews and sources just to see what I was missing.

I mean to say, I KNOW that what I was missing in the stories was plot, cohesion from story-to-story and character development. Evidently so did many, many others.

There wasn't much "there" there ... if you know what I mean. Thinking about it, I am having to change my rating to one star because I don't know if I would ever recommend it to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dying Earth.

07/29/2010 page 50
29.0% "An interesting book in that it reads like a series of extremely short stories sewn together. Just when I think I am not interested the author throws in a tidbit of motivation or insight that re-hooks me. I am going to move this to the back burner so that I read it closer in to the actual podcast at the beginning of September."
show 1 hidden update…