Jo's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

The Short Review.
All you need to know about as to why you should read this book is at the top (or well.. technically the bottom) of this list.

The Long Review.
I’m going to review this book in comparison to another. And I’m probably going to do both of these books a disservice. Because they aren’t anything like each other… but to me, they come together.
After I had been told I HAD to read Wuthering Heights by one of my best friends, I bought a copy and read it during a 5 hour car journey form Edinburgh to Manchester after I had seen my sister graduate. The combination of the sprawling hills and the tempestuous Scottish/Mancunian/Northern England weather provided the perfect backdrop for reading Wuthering Heights and I loved it. It wasn’t an easy book to read, (oh, and it took me a lot longer than 5 hours to read, by the way. Thought I should clarify that!), and I pretty much hated every single character (not because they were badly written, but because they were so well written and they’re not supposed to be liked- passionate, spoilt, dramatic and swoon-inducing, yes. But loveable? Eh, no.) but I absolutely adored the epic writing and descriptions.
And it became one of my favourite literary endeavours and one that I have vowed to, when I have atleast two weeks to spare, return to. (On a side note, I have visited Haworth with the intention to climb the hills to Wuthering Heights except, in true Bronte fashion, the weather was ridiculous and we couldn’t make it. One day, I will get up there and not just end up in the Bronte gift-shop with arms full of postcards and leather book marks).

Anyway, I should probably write about Jane Eyre now, shouldn’t I?

There are no words to describe how much I loved this book. (Well, there are… I texted my aforementioned friend every time I read something that I adored… not looking forward to this month’s bill).
I always think of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre in the same thought. I don’t know why… maybe it’s because they’re the only two books from this era that I have read and enjoyed. So, I think I have to say, when comparing them, I think I loved Jane Eyre sliiiiightly more.
For me, Jane Eyre is pretty much the perfect book. It’s amazingly written, it’s utterly and heartbreakingly relatable (the feelings Jane experiences… not the crazy women in the attic. Although, you never know!), and the story is perfect (I’ve seen so many screen adaptations of Jane Eyre and I still found myself being wholly creeped out when we first heard the ‘goblin-laugh’ of Mrs R. *shudder*)
Unlike a lot of heroines in books of this era, Jane is likeable and I want to be her best friend. (Sorry, I just don’t like t’other Jane. Never have, never will.) She’s proper without being twee. She’s innocent but she’s not naïve. She can hold her own in arguments when The Roch is being a chauvinistic douchebag, she’s funny but she’s also passionate and fights for what she believes in. Also… the woman is made of stronger stuff than I am. If I was her in the room when Mr Rochester was telling me “You are my sympathy- your better self- my good angel” I would’ve been like.. “Oh screw it… we can just put an extra lock on the attic door and we can live in sexy, sordid sin forever!”
But no, Jane puts me to shame and doesn’t get swept away when Mr Rochester unleashes the swoon.
And does he unleash the swoon.
Which brings me to Mr Rochester- who is possibly THE most ridiculously hot literature creation I have ever read ever. EVER. And I thought Newland Archer was as good as it comes (I still love him though… I think Newland would understand and let me disappear with Mr Rochester for weekends every now and again). He is the perfect combination of passionate, anger, love, lustful, envious, noble, irrational, heroic, vulnerable and so damn cute.
And all without being as cracked-out as Heathcliff who, as much as I love him, would get exhausting. I like to think of Mr Rochester as Heathcliff-Lite.
But that does not mean he is for the faint-hearted. I’ve only just put the book down and my heart is still beating like a steam train.
Mystery, intrigue, gothic, passionate….
Oh, forget it. I could go on forever about this book.
JUST READ IT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Jo Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

05/08/2011 "I have seen so many TV adaptations and film versions that I had convinced myself that I read this book. But I haven't. I feel this needs to be remedied stat."
05/11/2011
27.0% "Handy that my Kindle records this for me. Thought I was going to have to do maths for a second then. PANIC ATTACK. Anyway... Mr Rochester has just stormed in and things about to get swoony. Even though I'm all aboard the Michael Fassenbender as the Roch, noone can deny the perfect-ness of Toby Stephens as the man himself. Swooooon."
05/13/2011
34.0% "Ugh.. if I could write sentences half as well as Ms Bronte, I would be so happy. How beautiful is her prose?"
05/14/2011
56.0% "Perhaps the most swoon-inducing scene of any book (except maybe by Ms Wharton). But also... lightening striking their beloved chestnut tree? Pathetic fallacy of doooooom."
show 2 hidden updates…

Catie I'm sure that you already know this, but Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights aren't just from the same time period - they were written by sisters :) That's why I always think of them together.

Aleeeeeza i ABHOR wuthering heights, but this one...is quite good! :D

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Gasp.
Oh Aleeza! I love Wuthering Heights too.
I think I prefer this one just a smidgeon more. :-p

Aleeeeeza Jo wrote: "Gasp.
Oh Aleeza! I love Wuthering Heights too.
I think I prefer this one just a smidgeon more. :-p"

i don't GET wuthering heights. i think i'm gonna have to reread it when i'm a bit older and more mature and less inclined to feel a murderous rage when reading about the characters in that book :D

the reason i like this one so much, methinks, is partly because the writing is a lot more...fleunt, and just easier to comprehend, ya know? (might just be me, lol.) and i love how tied the author is to the story--she also taught at a children's school and then became a gorverness and everything. so yeah.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Yeah, I completely agree.
I think Jane Eyre has the better story and the writing is a lot more accessible.
But I just loved how messed up everyone is in Wuthering Heights.
It's a lot darker book.
I don't know, I just love them both!

Trinity I think I remember throwing each book down and shouting IT GETS BETTER DOESN'T IT????? IT HAS TO END WELL!!
I was pretty much ready to give up on life at around 75% of Jane

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Oh gosh, I know.
I was having kittens!
Bloody St. John.

What kind of name is St. John anyway?
A rubbish one, that's what.

message 8: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Awesome review, Jo! I'm going to find myself a copy soon. If only to see Mr Rochester unleash the swoon :D

Camaro Oh my GOsh I couldn't agree more with this review, especially on all Rochester counts. All ye women who haven't read this book don't even KNOW what you're missing! All modern romance heroes pale in comparison to his hot HOT male. I don't think I could choose between him and Heathcliff though, they are both like drugs to me, just different types and equally addictive.

message 10: by Jaye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaye i also love jane eyre, but not austen & yes rochester is one of the best male characters :)