Salma's Reviews > Jude the Obscure

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Dec 31, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: classic-lit

I probably have no business reviewing this at all, since I've gotten only halfway through the book. And that was three years ago. I adore Hardy, so what the hell is it about this tome that had me putting it aside every time I progressed a few pages? Maybe because it was taking so long for things to happen, for Chrissake. I've read about how this book shocked society through all the horrid things that happened, and I'm like- okay, where do these horrible things happen? Page 300? Maybe I'm just hyperactive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jude the Obscure.

Salma Oh, definitely start with Tess! That book is like a beautiful and heartbreaking piece of music- I need to re-read it. I would go with Mayor next. I remember liking "Mayor" as a book- I read it when I was fifteen, but I shed tears over the wonderfully made movie. As for Jude, apparently people were in such an uproar about it that Hardy gave up writing fiction for a while.

Woodlanders and Madding/Crowd is on my to-read list. BTW, I'm totally curious- is your dad an English prof? I don't want to generalize, but I noticed most males who have great taste in fiction tend to be academics. :-)

Drew Graham He didn't give up writing fiction for a while, he gave up writing fiction forEVER! At least novels. If I may interject (almost four years later...), having read (almost) all of his books, I think Tess or Madding or Mayor is a great place to start, but The Return of the Native is my favorite.