Celine Parker's Reviews > The Cay

The Cay by Theodore Taylor

Jul 27, 2010

liked it

The Cay is a story of a young boy named Phillip who, on his boat ride from the island Curaçao to Virginia, finds himself blinded by a torpedo (the story takes place during World War 2, in 1942)that hit his boat. Phillip escapes death along with an elderly black man named Timothy, and eventually their life raft lands on a deserted island. Despite Phillip's predjudice against blacks, together he and Timothy learn to survive depite Phillip's blindness and Timothy's age. Phillip finds a friend in Timothy and learns that kindness cannot be measured by what a person looks like, but how they treat you.

I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, however this book did surprise me. I find that survival stories in general tend to be either quite adventuresome and exciting, or boring and slow. The Cay wasn't really either. The book focuses on the friendship that develops between Phillip and Timothy. Although I didn't find the story to be particularly interesting, I loved the message it portrayed. The Cay is a pleasantly hopeful story, and I like how it's more of a story about friendship than history or survival.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cay.