Laura Leaney's Reviews > One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Dec 25, 11

Read from December 18 to 23, 2011

Solzhenitsyn is a master. Somehow this one day, one single day, produces the sensation of years. And this one work camp realistically represents the accordion of camps in the Soviet Gulag system. And this one prisoner, Shukhov, breaks my heart.

One of my favorite paragraphs: "Shukhov looked up at the sky and gasped--the sun had climbed almost to the dinner hour. Wonder of wonders! How time flew when you were working! That was something he'd often noticed. The days rolled by in the camp--they were over before you could say 'knife.' But the years, they never rolled by; they never moved by a second."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

12/18/2011 page 42
26.0% "I felt like re-reading this, but the pages of my copy are so foxed and the book so dusty, it might give me asthma. Regardless of my pulmonary health, I need to gear up to read "The Gulag Archipelago" this summer. Reading Solzhenitsyn again might get me in the mood."
12/20/2011 page 80
50.0% "The Squad Leaders are outside fucking around with a temperature gauge on a frozen pole. Someone says: "Do you think they'd ever hang one up that gave the true temperature?" Later, Shukhov goes to the dispensary with a fever, but his temperature isn't high enough to classify as sick. His perfect question: "How can you expect a man who's warm to understand a man who's cold?" This is better than I remembered."
12/21/2011 page 120
75.0% "I love the Russians!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Patrick Emmett Merry Christmas Laura! Thanks for sharing your love of literature!

Laura Leaney Merry Christmas to you too, Patrick. I saw your beautiful daughter the other day; you're a lucky dad to have such a wonderful kid. And thanks for all your book recommendations!

Patrick Emmett Thanks Laura. May the New Year be filled with Peace, Love, and Understanding!