George's Reviews > Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations

Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: nook-st, non-fiction
Read from November 11 to 15, 2011

ELOQUENTLY BRILLIANT, ENLIGHTENING & INSIGHTFUL.

“For a long time I teetered between the clear ideals of the Enlightenment that I learned about at university and my submission to the equally clear dictates of Allah that I feared to disobey.”—page 10

“So this, in a nutshell, was my Enlightenment: free inquiry, universal education, individual freedom, the outlawing of private violence and the protection of individual property rights.”—page 213

Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and her latest memoir, Nomad: From Islam to America—A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations, would both qualify as high-ranking candidates for my imaginary Robert G. Ingersoll Award for Excellence in Free Thinking. For my money, Hirsi Ali is the reigning princess of Free Thought.

It was Ingersoll who said, “We need men with moral courage to speak and write their real thoughts, and to stand by their convictions, even to the very death.” I suspect that R. G. would have very much appreciated Ayaaan Hirsi Ali for her brilliant grasp of Enlightenment principles and for her heroic strength of character in surmounting supremely incredible odds, to “write [her] real thoughts, and to stand by [her] convictions…[in spite of credible death-threats].”

Recommendation: If you love reason, if you love liberty, you’re likely to very much enjoy everything this lovely lady has to say.

“For me, the three most beautiful words in the emerging language of secular resistance to tyranny are Ayaan Hirsi Ali.” [Christopher Hitchens]—page 4

Barnes and Noble NOOKbook edition, 280 pages
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nomad.